Apostrophe / quotation marks font size changes
Thread poster: Nick Hoyle

Nick Hoyle
Local time: 13:32
German to English
May 12, 2015

Hi, can anyone shed light on what is causing the following in SDL Studio 2014?

My source text is in Arial 10pt but the curly apostrophes that I insert with Alt+0146 are in Arial 12pt when I save the sdlxliff back to Word. Same goes for curly quotation marks. This then increases the line spacing.

I had the same issue a few days ago with a different customer, different TM - that time the apostrophes came out in Times Roman 12pt.

Both texts were just fairly plain Word documents with little formatting and few tags.

Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
French to English
Apostrophe / quotation marks font size changes also in Studio 2016 Nov 15, 2016

I have the same problem a few times each week in Studio 2016. Although the entire body of the Word document is in 10-point font, all of the curly apostrophes and quotation marks (generated in Studio) are mysteriously in 12-point font. Even when I try to do an advanced find-and-replace to change, for example, all occurrences of 12-point apostrophes to 10-point apostrophes, it doesn't work. I have to go back to Studio, change all curly marks to straight marks, recreate the Word document, and find and replace all straight marks with curly marks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apostrophe / quotation marks font size changes

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search