Studio 2011 keeps quitting
Thread poster: Phil Hand

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:27
Chinese to English
May 12, 2015

IBM laptop, and I tend to have a lot of software running simultaneously. Studio has always stopped running occasionally (i.e. program just completely disappears, not freezing, just vanishing), but today it became ridiculous. Studio quit three times within five minutes. Usually happens when I'm saving a word to termbase. It often takes a moment so I often click to my browser to look something up while it sorts itself out, and when I look back, Studio's vanished.

Any experience with this fault? I dimly remember seeing a post on this same topic before, but haven't managed to locate it. Any pointers gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Finnish to French
Java? May 12, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:
Studio quit three times within five minutes. Usually happens when I'm saving a word to termbase

Sounds like a Java problem (in Studio 2011, Studio uses Java to communicate with MultiTerm). What version of Java are you using? You can check at java.com > Do I have Java?, or under Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:27
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Java 8.40 May 12, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Was running 7.something for ages because of the problems last year, but have now run the fixes that SDL published, and updated to the latest(?) Java.

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
German to English
SDL fix for Java/Termbase May 12, 2015

Could this help:

works with update 31. Navigate to:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?articleId=5589#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5589

look in the far right hand column for:

Re-sign_for_MultiTerm_2011.zip

Download the zipfile.

I ran the file contained in the zip which opens a DOS window and plays a script "automatically".
If you then open MultiTerm and attempt to add a term there are a couple of "are you sure..." dialogues where you can check the box for no future notifications. Once that's done, adding terms either straightforwardly through MultiTerm or within Trados Studio in my case returns no errors (so far).

Cribbed from a post back in February when Java was 8.31.

Good luck
D

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 16:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Used to happen to me May 13, 2015

@Phil

The "vanishing" problem used to happen to me, first with Studio 2009 and after with Studio 2011, on a dual-core Packard Bell laptop I had a long time ago.
Never discovered the cause. Both Studio and the OS were legal.

Maybe it is a RAM issue? Who knows. Sorry I can't be of any help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 keeps quitting

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search