Unusual structure of XML file
Thread poster: H H
H H
Jun 3, 2015

Dear Trados professionals!
I was wondering if you could help me out.
I need to translate a bunch of XML files, but they have unusual structure and i am not sure which file type to use when adding them to Trados.

File extention is .xml.
The structure of files has source and then empty target segments, where translation should be placed. Here is an example:
< Resource Key name=" How It Works Title" >
< Resource language="en" > How It Works< / Resource >
< Resource language="id" >< / Resource >

When I uploaded these files into Trados, some of them are shown as Usage = 'Reference' . And when i try to change it, it says 'File usage cannot be changed because no matching file type is found'.

One file is shown as 'Translatable' for some reason, but all tags are placed into the 'source' side of the Editor view.

Maybe someone has experience with this kind of files and can guide me which file type i should choose?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
English
If the message is no matching filetype... Jun 3, 2015

... then you have either unchecked the default xml filetypes (unlikely I think) or the content of the XML makes Studio think the file is really something else.

It would also help to know a few things about what you need to do:

• are attributes translatable too? If so you need to customise the filetype anyway
  • does the translation need to be placed into the empty element? If it does you need to get the source copied into the target first and then it's straightforward

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

H H
TOPIC STARTER
XML file structure Jun 4, 2015

The only text that need to be translated in the example is the phrase between the > and < - 'How It Works'.
Yes, the translation should be placed in the empty element.

I don't think i messed up the default XML file types in Trados. When I go to project settings, I see all XML files types there as usual.

H H
TOPIC STARTER
File Type Identification Jun 4, 2015

Update on the problem:
I checked file types in Tools>Options and even tried to create a custom XML file type. But at the point when Traods offered to import file settings from an existing XML document, i selected one of these files and the error message was 'This is not a valid xml file for import'.

I googled and found this http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3345.html . It recommends to check the encoding of the file. And if it's ANSI, then change it to Unicode.
However, I checked and the encoding of my XML files is UTF-8 already.

At this point I am at a loss and i'd appreciate any suggestions.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
English
Can you share the file? Jun 4, 2015

Clearly there is something not right within the file that is causing this problem.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
pfilkin@sdl.com

H H
TOPIC STARTER
Error in file Jun 4, 2015

Yes, looks like the files are faulty.

Thanks for your help!

tnieminen
Finland
Local time: 03:37
English to Finnish
Is there a root element? Jun 5, 2015

Does your file have a root element, i.e. a single tag pair that encloses all the other tag pairs? Here's an example, in this case Resources would be the root, as it encloses the Resource tags:

< Resources >

< Resource Key name=" How It Works Title" >
< Resource language="en" > How It Works< / Resource >
< Resource language="id" >< / Resource >

< Resources />

I ask this because in many cases people use xml tags for formatting but don't actually follow the actual xml structure rules.

[Edited at 2015-06-05 05:47 GMT]

H H
TOPIC STARTER
Root element Jun 5, 2015

Yes, there is tag pair < Resources > < / Resources >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual structure of XML file

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search