Proofreading: Checking for different translations of similar segments in two different files
Thread poster: Paul RM
Paul RM
Germany
Local time: 19:45
German to French
+ ...
Jun 4, 2015

Hello,

I am currently proofreading two very large files on SDL Trados for the same client.
Each of those two files was translated by a different translator and belongs therefore to a different project.

The translation (DE>EN) consists of a large list of product names.
A lot of product names from the first file are also in the second file, with minor differences such as the color of the product.
The problem is: Each of those two translators has come up with their own translation of the original product name (and in a few cases even the same translator has different translations for the same product) and the client wishes of course to have the same English translation for each of its products.

It looks like this, with a small difference from one product to the other (this is not a real example from the files):

1st translator
Französischer Holzstuhl, Buche, weiß || French wooden chair, beechwood, white

2nd translator
Französischer Holzstuhl, Buche, grau || Wooden chair, grey, French beechwood

Is there a quick and efficient way to check for this from one file to another? I would like to make sure that the client receives a standardized translation for all of its products. The product list is very long and I would prefer not to let any inaccuracy slip by.

Many thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

eivind
Local time: 02:45
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Terminology check Jun 4, 2015

I don't know if Xbench supports something like this? I doubt it.

One possible approach would be to create a glossary as you go while reviewing the first file, establishing the proper term translation, and then running a QA check with terminology verification (Project Settings > Verification > Terminology etc.). This function never worked for me in Trados Studio since I work mostly with ttx files and there is a weird bug, but you could test it out if you are using a different file format. Terms can be created quickly by switching between source and target (not sure there is a standard keyboard shorcut for this, but you can set one), highlighting the term on both sides, and finally using whatever the keyboard shortcut is for Quick Add New Term. This particular approach would be faster in memoQ, but it should be viable in Studio.

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you use Studio 2014… Jun 4, 2015

Is there a quick and efficient way to check for this from one file to another? I would like to make sure that the client receives a standardized translation for all of its products. The product list is very long and I would prefer not to let any inaccuracy slip by.

… you can open both files simultaneously and then start filtering by product (View ribbon > Display Filter section), such as "Französischer Holzstuhl", see the differences in the segments shown, decide which translations is the best and correct the remainder translations.

... Jesús Prieto ...

Michael Gould  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Member (2009)
German to English
XBench Jun 4, 2015

Yes, XBench does support consistency checks of multiple files.

Paul RM
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 4, 2015

I'll try that, then.
Thank you very much for your answers.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, it does, but it won't be of much help without a glossary here Jun 4, 2015

Michael Gould wrote:

Yes, XBench does support consistency checks of multiple files.

Xbench does support segment consistency checks, but that won't be of much help in this case, since the source segments are not the same - at least according to Paul's example.

The best way would be to create a glossary, use it as "key term glossary" in Xbench, and then check for consistency against the glossary.

So if the glossary contains, for example

Französischer Holzstuhl, Buche [tab] French wooden chair

the translation "Französischer Holzstuhl, Buche, weiß || French wooden chair, beechwood, white" would be considered as correct, but "Französischer Holzstuhl, Buche, grau || Wooden chair, grey, French beechwood" would not.

Bear in mind that the longer the glossary, the more false positives you'll get.

For a comprehensive presentation on Xbench, see my presentation here

http://www.aboutranslation.com/p/xbench-training.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading: Checking for different translations of similar segments in two different files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search