Scaling problems on high-res laptop display
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
Finnish to French
Jun 6, 2015

Is anyone else having scaling problems with some parts of the user interface? For instance, this is what the dropdown menu for selecting languages in a new project looks like on my new laptop:

This is with the latest Studio 2014 SP2. I'm running Windows 7 Pro at the native 2560 x 1440 resolution supported by my laptop. I'm using the default magnifying option (150%) in Control Panel for texts and icons:

It works well for almost every application I'm using, except in some parts of the interface of Studio 2014. I wonder if Studio 2015 will offer better support for modern displays...

Direct link Reply with quote

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Jun 17, 2015

Hi Dominique,

I've just installed Studio on my new laptop and am having the same issue. Have you found a solution?

Best wishes,

Rebecca.

xxx2nl  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:35
Same here Jun 17, 2015

Yes, I have these problems too on an iMac Retina. It would be nice, if SDL would solve this. Déjà Vu X3 doesn't have this problem.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
No solution Jun 17, 2015

Rebecca Hendry wrote:
I've just installed Studio on my new laptop and am having the same issue. Have you found a solution?

I'm afraid I haven't, and since no one from SDL reacted, I assume there isn't any. Or the "solution" would be to use 100% scaling, which would make everything impractically tiny.

What is the size of your new laptop's display and its native resolution?

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
3840 x 2160 Jun 17, 2015

The resolution is 3840 x 2160. It's a 15.6" screen and I'm running Windows 8.1. I'm also using 150% scaling and am having the same problems with dropdown menus and the project list. Luckily the editor view is really clear.

SDL, any word about the fix for this?

Mehmet KIR
English to Turkish
This workaround worked for me Aug 18, 2015

Microsoft has a resolution for this problem. I could finally use Trados on a proper scaling.
Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/912949/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:35
French to German
+ ...
Are you sure this is the right KB article? Aug 19, 2015

Hi Mehmet

Are you sure you posted the correct link? I don't see how the article describing an issue with Windows Server 2003 and manifest files should help to solve the high DPI scaling issue.

Walter

Simone Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Display issues in Windows 10 Jul 8, 2016

Hi there,

Is there a solution by now? I thought it would be a Windows 8 issue, but apparently it's not. Has anyone heard from SDL?

Best,
Simone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scaling problems on high-res laptop display

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search