Loredana Arama  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:45
Member (2009)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 9, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have a package in Trados 2014 and a separate sdlxliff file with the translation received from the translator. How can I update the file in the package with the translation so I can create a return package to send to the client? I know how to create the return package but I do not know how to incorporate the translation in the sdlxliff file into the file in the original package.

I appreciate any help.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
English
If you're 100% happy... Jun 9, 2015

... with the contents of the SDLXLIFF then you can simply replace the one in your project with the one you got back. So open the project folder, look in the target language folder and you'll find the file you need to replace in there.

I'd always backup the original before you do this just in case you find something you don't like later.

Regards

Paul
... See more
... with the contents of the SDLXLIFF then you can simply replace the one in your project with the one you got back. So open the project folder, look in the target language folder and you'll find the file you need to replace in there.

I'd always backup the original before you do this just in case you find something you don't like later.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Loredana Arama
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 9, 2015

Dear Paul,

I thought of doing this but it looked like a "medieval" way of solving the problem. I was wondering maybe it is a "professional" way of doing it. So thank you very much for the answer. The simpliest way is the best way sometimes

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The professional way... Jun 9, 2015

... would be for you to purchase a Professional License, then create another package for your project that you send out for translation. When you get the return package back it will update your project and you then create a return package for your client.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Or even... Jun 9, 2015

.... purchase a copy of GroupShare. Publish the project to GroupShare and then give the translator a link to the file you want translated. When it's done your project is automatically updated and you can create a return package for your Client.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Loredana Arama
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the problem is on the other side Jun 9, 2015

The problem is that the translator doesn't know or apparently doesn't want to work with packages. Even if I create a new package and send it to him, he still sends back only a sdlxliff file . So far, the method you proposed in the firts place will do the job. Thank you again.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps... Jun 9, 2015

... the translator is not using Studio at all, and is using some other tool that cannot handle Studio packages. So they unzip the package and translate the sdlxliff directly.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Should really create a zipped file with.sdlrpx as extension Jun 9, 2015

SDL Community wrote:
... the translator is not using Studio at all, and is using some other tool that cannot handle Studio packages. So they unzip the package and translate the sdlxliff directly.

Regards
Paul

I think you are right. I am using dejavu besides Studio, and I know that other dejavu users then have to unzip the package. But a general advice they then get, is to replace the sdlxliff file with a translated file and then zip it and then change the extension to .sdlrpx.

I don't think it's too much to ask the translator to do this.

Roy

Loredana Arama
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 10, 2015

Thank you all for the answers. It is plausible what you said about translating the file with some other CAT tool. I'll try to suggest him what Roy said. Maybe he will agree with that.

Thank you all once again for your support.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating a file in a package

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »