Merging two version of translation using trado?
Thread poster: Echo (Sin Jin) Lim

Echo (Sin Jin) Lim
United States
Member (2004)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 12, 2015

Hi All,

My client want me to compare and harmonize two version of translation to make a better version.

Is there any way I can use trados to compare two version and make a final version?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Echo

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:32
Member (2008)
English to Czech
export Jun 12, 2015

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but how about this:

- Export two bilingual files (in Trados, right-click on each of the files in question / Batch tasks / Export for External Review).
- In Word, copy the second version of translation (a column with this) into the first file (or vice versa) as a new column so you get both translations side by side.
- Decide which version is better and edit the respective column (or copy the text between the columns) if and as needed.
- Once finished, remove the obsolete column and import the updated file back into Trados (the same path as above, but now use Update from External Review).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
English
I guess you could also do this... Jun 14, 2015

• Open the first file and create a new Translation Memory to go with it (Language is largely irrelevant but perhaps use two variants of the same main language so en(GB) to en(US) for example)
  • Copy source to target for the whole file and then update the new TM with the contents
  • Open the revised file with the same language pairs, copy source to target, and add the TM created with the previous file.
  • Now you can use "Translate to Fuzzy" to quickly locate translations that are different and then edit them as needed to ensure you keep the best one.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Echo (Sin Jin) Lim
United States
Member (2004)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Tomas and Paul! Jun 15, 2015

Paul,

I tried using the method you suggested but even with fuzzy match the pre-translated version didn't show up, I guess I am going to do what Tomas suggested instead.

Thank you both! You guys are great.

Regards,
Echo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging two version of translation using trado?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search