How do I open a quotation mark delimited textfile in SDL Trados Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 13, 2015

I received a solution earlier from SDL Support but can not access that solution now. I think it was quite simple, but can't recall where I should do this. Isn't it a filter I need to create? Can I do that at the same time as I create the project?

If I don't create a filter the final cleaned textfile will contain both source and target text (both within quotation marks). I want only the target translation in the cleaned file, with quotation marks as in the original.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
Finnish to French
Sample lines Jun 13, 2015

Can you post a couple of lines from that file?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sample lines Jun 13, 2015

Here are some lines from this quotation marks delimited textfile:

"Continue" ""
"Notification" ""
"Initial synchronization with a new folder will take longer to complete as it will involve moving all the applicable files. Do you want to continue?" ""

Finnish to French
Translated file Jun 13, 2015

In your sample lines, the 3rd and 4th quotes look like placeholders for the translation. So the translated file (assuming translation into Swedish) would look something like:

"Continue" "Fortsätta"

However, you said the "cleaned" file (by which I assume you mean the final translation exported from Studio) should be just:

"Fortsätta"

Which one would be the "correct" translated file?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, they are placeholders Jun 13, 2015

I see what you mean now; yes, these 3rd and 4th quotation marks are placeholders where my translation is put in the cleaned file if I don't change anything now.

I would like my cleaned file look like your second example (with only the Swedish within parenthesis). So the correct file would be "Fortsätta"

Finnish to French
Regex in text editor Jun 13, 2015

Well, if Studio is capable of producing:

"Continue" "Fortsättä"

out of the box, it's quite easy to get rid of the source text in any good editor (just ask a regex buff), including on multiple files in one go.

Maybe it's possible to obtain what you want inside Studio, but I wouldn't know how.

Roy OConnor
Local time: 02:05
Member (2009)
German to English
Change segmentation rules Jun 13, 2015

Hi, Fredrik,

It is possible inside Studio by changing the Segmentation rules. These are obtained by following "Project settings -> Translation memory and automated translation -> Settings (above the list of TMs) -> Language resources -> Segmentation rules". In "Segmentation rules" click "Add" to create another rule with a name of your choice e.g. "Twin double quote". In your new rule specify your twin double quote ("") characters in the "Before break" field and also in the "Break characters" field. Click the OKs to return to the "Files" view.

Then input your source file into Trados again. You may need to do this on the Source file side of the "Files" view and then use "Batch tasks" to obtain the sdlxliff file. This should then provide you with the required segmentation.

It sounds a lot, but it's not that difficult and it does work.

Roy

E_Kelly
South Korea
Local time: 08:35
English to Korean
I got nothing. Jun 13, 2015

It is strange.

I tried to follow up this post.
So, made a project from simple three lines of above reply (with too much dobule quotes).
Process is normal and no errors at all.
I have a new project with 0 words.
It is empty.

What is this ?
A kind of segmentation rules win ?
(I am usign "Defautl segmentation rules. Nothing added. Nothing with Russian what so ever.")

Regards

[Edited at 2015-06-13 13:41 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Change segmentation rules, yes I think I did this last time Jun 13, 2015

It was SDL Support that suggested this to me last time, I will try what you suggested Roy, thanks.

[Edited at 2015-06-13 16:58 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
English
Sounds a little complicated... Jun 13, 2015

... to me. I have two suggestions.

1. Based on the suggestion from Dominique that the second quotes should contain the translation (which I must admit looks likely in that format) then you can just open this with the default tab delimited filter and it handles the file perfectly.
  2. Based on your preferred idea which is to replace the source with the target then use the regex filetype.
    Opening Pattern
    "
    Closing Pattern
    "\s""
    You will have course still have both sets of quotes in the target file, but the translation will replace the source instead of adding it into the second set of quotes.

Maybe this is easier?
Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search