International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Multilingual Excel files and splitting/merging texts
Thread poster: juanpablosans

juanpablosans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:20
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2015

Hello,

I hope you are OK. I am starting to work as a PM, and my company always needs to hand off multilingual Excel files that are huge. I was curious, and I guess there must be an option or an add-on for SDL Trados that will allow me to manage such type of file and split it in more manageable files. Of course, for this I need translation memories for every language, and so I would also like to know what the best procedure for this is.

Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

juanpablosans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:20
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more thing Jun 15, 2015

Of course, these files also include string IDs and numbers. How can I exclude them out?

E_Kelly
South Korea
Local time: 18:50
English to Korean
VBA Jun 16, 2015

If you need to manage something in Excel.
Think about only VBA.
All the other things are just decorations.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:20
French to German
+ ...
Have a look at the File Type options for Excel Jun 17, 2015

juanpablosans wrote:

Of course, these files also include string IDs and numbers. How can I exclude them out?

The File type options for Excel give you quite a few possibilities: you can hide columns that do not need to be translated, skip text in a certain colour or even process embedded text.

If you prepare your Excel sheet accordingly, these options should allow you to solve your problem.

Walter

Albert G
Local time: 13:20
German to Russian
Try TransTools plugin for Office Jun 17, 2015

If the settings for Excel files in Trados are not enough, you can try to manage your content in Excel with a free plugin for Office - TransTools (http://www.translatortools.net/excel-about.html). For example to extract only the text from cells with specific font color, then translate it and reimport.

Albert

E_Kelly
South Korea
Local time: 18:50
English to Korean
Hmmmm.. Jun 18, 2015

You guys know very nice "decorations".
They are really good.
Thanks for good tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multilingual Excel files and splitting/merging texts

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search