Thread poster: AdrianaQuintero

AdrianaQuintero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2015

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased this software recently, and I have a large editing job for one of my clients. I received the completed translation from them and they want track changes and updating the termbase that they included.

I have looked and looked for any instructions on how to edit/review a translated file but I am stuck/confused. Am I supposed to create a project and make the already translated file into a translateable file and edit that way?

If anyone can help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you, AQ

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 16:13
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Format of the translated file Jun 16, 2015

Hi Adriana,

If you received a Trados package or a Trados file from your translator, you would just open it with Trados. If you have the Trados package you can just open it. If you have a Trados file, you can create a project and add the file to this project.

If you received target and source Word files, you could use WinAlign to align the source text with the target text.

There is a WinAlign tutorial here:
http://www.translationzone.com/resources/downloads/winalign-tutorial.html

I think you can provide more information so that we can help you.

Best regards,
Patricia

www.TheBestTranslations.com

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Editing and Reviewing in SDL Trados Studio 2014" Jun 16, 2015

Hi Patricia,

Thank you so much for replying and thank you for the alignment tutorial link.

I received the source document and the translated document in Word. I also received their termbase, and my instructions are to edit the translated document with track changes and update the termbase, and return to the client.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. I feel like I am flying blind with some of the aspects of Studio 2014.

Thank you again, Adriana

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in Trados Jun 16, 2015

I don't think your client want you to do this in Trados, otherwise they would have sent you a Trados file.

I think they mean for you to use the Track Changes feature in Word on the target file. And to update the TB if there are any changes to the translation of the terms there.

What's the format of the TB thy sent you?

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase is SDLTB Jun 17, 2015

Hi Jaime,

I think you may be right. The format is *.sdltb and when I opened it in MultiTerm it opened source.mdf, source.mtf, target.mdf, and target.mtf.

Thank you for responding.

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some suggestions for updating the TB Jun 17, 2015

If the TermBase includes only a few entries, I would update it directly in MultiTerm, but i it has tons of entries, to make things easier, after making all the changes in Word with Track Changes, I would create a project in Studio for the target file and load the TermBase. Then I would go to the segments where there are changes in the word file to check if changes need to be made to the TB, and make the changes directly from within Studio.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 18, 2015

Jaime,

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I will do just that. I really appreciate your help with this matter.

Muchísimas gracias, Adriana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing and Reviewing in SDL Trados Studio 2014

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search