Why isn't the files view in Studio 2014 displaying correctly?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2015

Sometimes the progress indicator in the column Progress displays 97 % for example even though I've already translated 100 % (committed all segments to the TM).

Then in the column Status, I have 3 different statuses displayed:

Translated
In translation
In review

Even though I don't run any batch tasks (other than Analyze to check my progress each day) these statuses changes automatically in what to me seems completely illogical (no real pattern: some files have status Translated, some status In translation, some status In review.

So I wonder how I better could control the files view in Studio so I always get correct figures for both the Progress column and the Status column? So that I know for certain that file A has been 100 % translated. And so that all files that I have translated always get displayed as Translated and not In Translation or In review?

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:38
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bug Jun 16, 2015

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Sometimes the progress indicator in the column Progress displays 97 % for example even though I've already translated 100 % (committed all segments to the TM).

This is a bug that has been present in the last three major releases of Studio (and I bet it will still be present in the upcoming one). So you can stop searching for a way to get correct figures - Studio is just too dumb for elementary maths, and SDL doesn't seem to care.

Very annoying.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Thank you for the constructive comment Jun 16, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

This is a bug that has been present in the last three major releases of Studio (and I bet it will still be present in the upcoming one). So you can stop searching for a way to get correct figures - Studio is just too dumb for elementary maths, and SDL doesn't seem to care.

Very annoying.

We have been trying to find why this happens, but it is pretty difficult to reproduce. Perhaps, as this happens to you a lot, you can identify something in the files where this happens which cause this problem. It's tricky for us to reproduce and when I'm sent Projects to review I open them and the count is perfect. So clearly something is not refreshing on the local machine while you work.

Maybe something to do with splitting/merging segments perhaps? If you have any clues they'll be welcomed because it's an inconsistent error, normally easily resolved by running a word count for example, but it would be good to have solid steps where we can produce the problem on demand. Then we can fix it.

I guess we're just too dumb to fix it without your help!!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'll do my best Jun 16, 2015

Paul,

I didn't say you were dumb. What I meant with dumb is that it's quite amazing that Studio fails adding up numbers (something computers are supposed to be quite good at).

I do indeed use merging and splitting quite a lot, so maybe that's a hint in the right direction.

This problem has been reported more than once for the last couple of years (and major releases of Studio).

SDL Community wrote:
It's tricky for us to reproduce and when I'm sent Projects to review I open them and the count is perfect. So clearly something is not refreshing on the local machine while you work.

So why do you expect that this would be different if I'm sending you yet another project where this happens?

I do believe that this is tricky for you, but frankly, this is no excuse.

(It's a scheme encounters quite often: Something goes wrong, you send files to support. Answer: "Well, everything works fine here! So you must be doing something wrong, or your system isn't set up properly." Not good enough, imho. People do not always have perfectly controlled conditions in their working IT environments.)

One solution might be to do some actual work in your testing environments, merge, split, whatever, and see if the bug affects you as well.

BTW: In my experience, performing a word count has never solved this problem.

(On the other hand, there truly are more important problems to solve before a lot of manpower should be invested in this annoying, but not all too harmful bug.)

icon_wink.gif

Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:38
Member (2016)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Workaround Jun 16, 2015

The problem can be solved, at least temporarily, by performing Translation Count.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Editing source might be the problem Jun 16, 2015

I've edited the source only for a few segments, and after that an error message pops up. I think this problem I posted about here appeared only after I did that.

I'm not sure if I tried earlier also to merge segments (which I couldn't). But this problem posted here appeared after I had edited the source, I am certain about that.

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:38
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Had this today Jun 17, 2015

After splitting a source segment and subsequently trying to edit another source segment, which caused Trados to freeze (!), on restart, my word count showed an unexplained negative number of draft words (-150), with all the percentages wrong. From the Files view, running Batch Tasks, Translation Count solved the problem.
HTH,
icon_smile.gif

Sandra

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Word count vs. analysis Jun 17, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

After splitting a source segment and subsequently trying to edit another source segment, which caused Trados to freeze (!), on restart, my word count showed an unexplained negative number of draft words (-150), with all the percentages wrong. From the Files view, running Batch Tasks, Translation Count solved the problem.
HTH,
icon_smile.gif

Sandra

Interesting. It seems I've confused "word count" with "analysis" (which never seemed to help). Will try that the next time I'm encountering this problem.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-06-17 08:10 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Minus on drafts Jun 17, 2015

I get this now and then, and I think it happens after I've deleted a TM segment (I do this quite often when I want to modify my translation to avoid having two different versions of the same source segment). So now it displays -1.14 for drafts in the translation window. Maybe it's related to the discrepancy in Status column and Progress column.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Deleting segments from TM Jun 17, 2015

I get this now and then, and I think it happens after I've deleted a TM segment.

I never do this, still the bug occurs.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Update: word count doesn't change anything Jul 18, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:
From the Files view, running Batch Tasks, Translation Count solved the problem.

Sandra

Interesting. It seems I've confused "word count" with "analysis" (which never seemed to help). Will try that the next time I'm encountering this problem.

Update:

Today, I've encountered the problem again. As far as I can see, all segments are marked as "translated". Still, the project view says "94%". Neither the analysis nor the word count batch tasks change anything.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-07-18 11:00 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:38
Member (2004)
English to Italian
It's Translation Count... Jul 18, 2015

not Word Count...

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sorry Jul 18, 2015

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

not Word Count...

Sorry. I really should learn to read some day...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search