key combination sets segments to translated status
Thread poster: Olly Pekelharing

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Jun 18, 2015

Studio 2014. I accidentally press some key combination and Studio selects the rest of the segments in the document ad sets them all to translated. Anyone know which key combination this could be? It happens to me occasionally and can be very irritating!

Direct link Reply with quote

E_Kelly
South Korea
Local time: 22:57
English to Korean
Right Jun 19, 2015

I experienced the exact same as yours for several times.
ALL segs are changed "translated" in a moment .
It includes "Draft" segs and even with "empty" targets too.

It is just a silly side effect of fast typing, not any kind of functions (so there is no remedy).
It is a STUPID bug of the program itself.

I have decided to change the status of seg "translated" into "Not translated" only for empty segs.
It needs some extra time and efforts.
If you interested in it, I can tell you how to do it.

I just hope the company has answer(s) better than mine (should be possible?).

Regards

[Edited at 2015-06-19 03:16 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Caused by selecting "too much" text Jun 19, 2015

This happens when you select text from more than one segment by mistake and have draft or empty segments elsewhere. Then you click ctrl+enter (or whatever shortcut you use to confirm the segment and move to the next one). This switches all segments to translated.

You can usually undo this by clicking Ctrl Z.

If not, change the segments status as follows:
- Select all the segments where you want to change the status. To do this, place the cursor in the first segment that you want to change back to untranslated. Make sure it's in the segment number column on the left.
- Go the end of the file (ctrl+end) and click shift+left mouse click in the last segment number.
- With all the segments selected, do a right mouse click and select "change segment status" to "not translated"

Note that none of this affects your translation memory. We're only talking about segment status here. So even though you suddenly see confirmed status in all your segments, they haven't been sent to your TM.

[Edited at 2015-06-19 10:28 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
ctrl-z Jun 19, 2015

Thanks Emma,

I don't think I even tried ctrl-z! See if that works.

Olly

E_Kelly
South Korea
English to Korean
Not in my case. Jun 19, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This happens when you select text from more than one segment by mistake and have draft or empty segments elsewhere. Then you click ctrl+confirm (or whatever shortcut you use to confirm the segment and move to the next one). This switches all segments to translated.

You can usually undo this by clicking Ctrl Z.

If not, change the segments status as follows:
- Select all the segments where you want to change the status. To do this, place the cursor in the first segment that you want to change back to untranslated. Make sure it's in the segment number column on the left.
- Go the end of the file (ctrl+end) and click shift+left mouse click in the last segment number.
- With all the segments selected, do a right mouse click and select "change segment status" to "not translated"

Note that none of this affects your translation memory. We're only talking about segment status here. So even though you suddenly see confirmed status in all your segments, they haven't been sent to your TM.

First of all.
I'd like to find the better remedy for this unnecessarly irritating bug though I had my own remedy.

So, I tried your methods.
I have failed to make the problem again on purpose as you mentioned.
That's maybe I did not understand your explanation 100%.
Specifically, what do you mean by "draft", "empty" and "ctrl+confirm" ?
Is that mean "moves" selected block, press "delete" key and press "ctrl" key and "confirm" button on the ribbon, respectively ?
If you tell me the same procedure again with another way, I could try it again.

Second.
Your remedy.
(I saved the file which has the problem couple of weeks ago, to make a workaround of mine.)
I tested your procedure with the saved file of mine.
It is not working at all.

Anyways. If someone had good results from the above procedure, that is good.

Regards

[Edited at 2015-06-19 08:03 GMT]

E_Kelly
South Korea
English to Korean
Ctrl Z Jun 19, 2015

Could be nice one.

I can not tell you with 100% sure but, it has its own limitations(a bit narrow one).
The MS Word's limitation of Ctrl+z is huge really big, so almost everybody could be happy.
For SDL's, I do not know.

Should I had a chance, I'll try it out this method for sure.
Regards

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
ctrl-z Jun 19, 2015

This just happened to me again. As Jaesang, said it seems to be some kind of side effect, and definitely not a key combination nor the scenario that Emma described. BUT... ctrl-z fixed it so I'm happy!

Olly

E_Kelly
South Korea
English to Korean
Good for you. Jun 19, 2015

Thank for the confirmation.
I have to memorize it.
(Your are so fast typist, right ?)

Regards

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Clarification Jun 19, 2015

Jaesang wrote:

Specifically, what do you mean by "draft", "empty" and "ctrl+confirm" ?
Is that mean "moves" selected block, press "delete" key and press "ctrl" key and "confirm" button on the ribbon, respectively ?
If you tell me the same procedure again with another way, I could try it again.

To reproduce this, some of the target segments in your file must be either in "draft" status or completely empty.
Re: Ctrl+confirm. Sorry, that's a mistake. I meant Ctrl+Enter (this is now corrected in my post above).
No, I don't mean "move" or "delete". I mean select some text across more than one segment. You could click and drag your mouse across 2 target segments to do this.!

Second.
Your remedy.

Not sure what you're talking about here.
If you're referring to the use of Ctrl+Z on a file that you saved some time ago, then it won't work. Ctrl+Z only undoes what you've just done.
If you're referring to reproducing the error on a saved file, then you need to make sure some target segments are empty or in draft status.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Ctrl+Z Jun 19, 2015

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

ctrl-z fixed it so I'm happy!

Olly

Great!

E_Kelly
South Korea
English to Korean
No Jun 19, 2015

Emma Goldsmith >

No.
It doe not work it out as you mentioned.

Nothing unusaul happened.
Just got some yellow triangles.
That is quite normal.

Regards

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Dito Jun 22, 2015

The exact same thing happened to me several times and I was never able to figure out what I did. I do type fast and I occasionally lock segments by accident (ctrl+l), or open a preview (rather annoying because this takes a while to load).

Every time this happens I find myself looking for a hidden empty-segment filter. If Ctrl+Z does the trick I'm going to feel pretty stupid. Still now I'm actually hoping for this to happen again just so I can find out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

key combination sets segments to translated status

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search