Thread poster: Théo Amon

Théo Amon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 18, 2015

Hello:

this is the situation: I translated a file with a TM furnished by the client, and I have to deliver a target file with tracked changes so the client may see which were the sections added or changed by me in relation to his TM. This has worked well with .doc files befores. However, with rtf. files, all Trados generates as target files are clean texts, without tracked changes. Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks in advance

Théo

Direct link Reply with quote

raptisi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Bitter experience Jun 19, 2015

Well, my bitter experience says that Trados Studio cannot handle .rtf files, well, at least as .doc files. In my case, the export was a bilingual document, nothing could be done about it. I had to copy+paste the entire source (.rtf) into a new (.doc) source document and, then, run it through. The saved TM did work well in this scenario.
The issue with track changes is a more difficult one, first of all, in order to start a project, let's say with a .docx file, the Track Changes option has to be inactivated, otherwise the program will not create the project.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:39
English
Maybe worth noting this in the help Jun 19, 2015

From the Studio Help:

Where Tracked Changes can Appear
Tracked changes can appear in two locations in your document:

1. Source segments
  2. Target segments

Source Segment Tracked Changes
Tracked changes in the original source document are displayed in the source segments. However, these changes cannot be amended and new changes cannot be made in Studio.

NOTE
Studio only supports working with tracked changes in the source for Microsoft Word 2007-2013 documents (.docx). To view source tracked changes in Studio, change the Track changes extraction mode setting to Display pending changes in the file type settings for Word 2007-2013 Settings.

Target Segment Tracked Changes
You can track the changes you make in translations in target segments. The translator can then choose to accept or reject tracked changes suggested by a reviewer in target segments You can do this for one suggested change at a time or for an entire document.

Previewing Documents with Tracked Changes
When previewing documents that contain tracked changes, you can only see the tracked changes in the preview for Microsoft Word 2007-2013 documents (*.docx). For all other file types, tracked changes will appear as if they are accepted in the preview.

The takeaways for this are these:

1. Track changes is not supported in target RTF files
  2. You need to remove track changes for all Word formats apart from DOCX where you can open files with tracked changes and even display the changes

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

artbook  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
English to Italian
+ ...
RTF Format - same issue, no track changes Jan 11, 2016

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem as Théo.
All the RTF files translated into Studio 2014 (SP2 - 11.2.4422.11) cannot generate the target file.
The error message I get is the same and there is no track changes in any of those files.
Thanks,
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RTF format - Trados 2014 won't generate target file with tracked changes

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search