Layout of Target WOrd file is garbled
Thread poster: ClarisseCardoso

ClarisseCardoso  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 19, 2015

I have started to use Trados very recently and have received a .pdf for translation. The document is a scientific article, with alternating different sections (one column, two columns, pictures and tables). I tried to load it in Trados directly from the .pdf file, then I tried to convert it to Word and subsequently loaded it in Trados, but the final result in both cases is that the preview of the Target file is only partially satisfactory since columns are not displayed correctly (wrong column breaks). I would like to know whether I am doing something wrong. I experience no problems when formatting is simple.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not your error or omission of something Jun 19, 2015

It's an internal problem of Trados

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
English
Or it's a problem with... Jun 19, 2015

... handling converted pdf files which are unreliable and often contain inconsistent controls. The best approach is to convert the PDF to Word and then "tidy it up" before translating it. The effort preparing the file will be worth it in the end.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:08
French to German
+ ...
It is NOT an internal problem of Trados!! Jun 19, 2015

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

It's an internal problem of Trados

.... it is that PDFs are not meant to be translated as such because PDF is NOT an editable format. If you need to translate a PDF because it is impossible to get the original document, then you need to properly convert the PDF by extracting the text content, trying to keep some of the formatting. Depending on the complexity of the layout of the PDF, this may not be trivial and may therefore require manual clean-up work before opening the document in a CAT tool (this is not only valid for Trados).

PDF should be used as source only as a LAST RESOURCE!
Walter

ClarisseCardoso  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Layout of target Word file is garble Jun 20, 2015

Dear all,

Thank you for your prompt replies. They proved to very valuable.
Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Clarisse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Layout of Target WOrd file is garbled

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search