https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/287293-adding_a_new_language_in_trados_2011.html

Adding a new language in Trados 2011
Thread poster: SMarzouk
SMarzouk
SMarzouk
Germany
Local time: 02:22
German to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 21, 2015

Hello,

as I installed Trados 2011 (freelancer version), I was working with 3 languages and I entered only those three. Now, I would like to work with a 4th language. According to Trados Help, languages should be defined during the installation while creating the user profile. So I need now to define a 2nd user profile with the necessary languages. Is that the right way? and if yes, how can I create a user profile? I tried that using the menu Tools -> Manage user profiles (the name o
... See more
Hello,

as I installed Trados 2011 (freelancer version), I was working with 3 languages and I entered only those three. Now, I would like to work with a 4th language. According to Trados Help, languages should be defined during the installation while creating the user profile. So I need now to define a 2nd user profile with the necessary languages. Is that the right way? and if yes, how can I create a user profile? I tried that using the menu Tools -> Manage user profiles (the name of the menu item might be different as I use a German version), but there is no possibility there to define a new user profile or to edit the current one.

So my question is: how to add a language in Trados "in general" (not within a project) after finishing the installation?

Thanks a lot for your support in advance
Cheers, Shaimaa
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not possible out of the box Jun 23, 2015

Dear Shaimaa,
It's not a standard feature to add languages later.
What I'd do is simply deactivate your Studio (Help > Product activation) and reactivate it again. You will be prompted to enter your 5 languages anew.
HTH
-Mike-

SMarzouk
SMarzouk
Germany
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no prompt Jun 23, 2015

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I've deactivated the product and activated it again from "Help > Product activation", but I was not prompted to do anything!
Could you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot
Shaimaa

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 07:22
English to Vietnamese
Repair Jun 23, 2015

SMarzouk wrote:

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I've deactivated the product and activated it again from "Help > Product activation", but I was not prompted to do anything!
Could you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot
Shaimaa

Hi Shaimaa,

You may need to repair Trados 2011 BEFORE activate again.

To repair the product, open the Programs and Feature utility in the Control Panel, find SDL Trados Studio 2011 and right click on it then choose Repair from the popup menu.

If this does not work you can try this:

1. Open Registry Editor (click on the Start button then type "regedit" in the search box).
2. Locate this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SDL\Studio2\MachineSupport and right click and choose Export (for backup)
3. Right click on the above key again and choose Delete.
4. Repair Trados (mentioned above).

Hope this works

LD

SMarzouk
SMarzouk
Germany
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
impact on projects / files Jun 23, 2015

Hello Linh,

Thanks a lot for your help!
I just want to make sure -before starting the "Repair"- that my projects and files in Trados will not be affected by doing the Repair step. I will not lose any data, right?

Thank you
Shaimaa

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Repairing Jun 23, 2015

SMarzouk wrote:

Hello Linh,

Thanks a lot for your help!
I just want to make sure -before starting the "Repair"- that my projects and files in Trados will not be affected by doing the Repair step. I will not lose any data, right?

Thank you
Shaimaa

Your projects and files should be there after repairing. I've done this before.

LD

SMarzouk
SMarzouk
Germany
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works :) Jun 23, 2015

Dear Linh,

Many thanks, your solution was perfect:

"You may need to repair Trados 2011 BEFORE activate again. To repair the product, open the Programs and Feature utility in the Control Panel, find SDL Trados Studio 2011 and right click on it then choose Repair from the popup menu."

The assistant asked me to add 5 languages and I could not proceed unless I added them.
Can I repeat this procedure any time to change the chosen language, if necessary?
... See more
Dear Linh,

"You may need to repair Trados 2011 BEFORE activate again. To repair the product, open the Programs and Feature utility in the Control Panel, find SDL Trados Studio 2011 and right click on it then choose Repair from the popup menu."

The assistant asked me to add 5 languages and I could not proceed unless I added them.
Can I repeat this procedure any time to change the chosen language, if necessary?

Many thanks again
Shaimaa
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Yes, you can. Jun 24, 2015

SMarzouk wrote:

Dear Linh,

Many thanks again
Shaimaa

Isn't it obvious

LD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a new language in Trados 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »