Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it true that SDL Trados Studio 2015 wont run on Windows XP..anymore?
Thread poster: Minh Nguyen

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 17:48
Member (2014)
English to Vietnamese
Jun 22, 2015

So Trados Studio 2014 (No SP) can be installed on XP machines with SDL support and Trados Studio 2014 SP1+SP2 can be installed on XP machines without SDL support.
I've heard that Trados Studio 2015 cant be installed on XP machines? Is this true?

So what will you do? say goodbye to your old good Windows XP?

LD

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:48
English
Yes this is true Jun 22, 2015

Linh Dan wrote:

I've heard that Trados Studio 2015 cant be installed on XP machines? Is this true?

Hi,

This is true and it's because Studio 2015 uses .NET 4.5 which is not available on WinXP. So we support Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1 and we will support W10 once it is released.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Vietnam
Member (2014)
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 22, 2015

This is true and it's because Studio 2015 uses .NET 4.5 which is not available on WinXP. So we support Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1 and we will support W10 once it is released.

Thank you for your confirmation!

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
English to German
+ ...
Compatibility w/Office etc. Jun 22, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Linh Dan wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul.

Will there be compatibility issues with certain versions of Microsoft Office or other programs? I currently use 2010. Will installation of Studio 2015 result in automatic connection with Office (I mean no need for additional installation steps having to change things in Windows system or Microsoft Office? Thank you.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Should be fine... Jun 22, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Will there be compatibility issues with certain versions of Microsoft Office or other programs? I currently use 2010. Will installation of Studio 2015 result in automatic connection with Office (I mean no need for additional installation steps having to change things in Windows system or Microsoft Office? Thank you.

... I haven't done anything with Office at all and everything seems just fine.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
English to German
+ ...
Thx Jun 22, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

... I haven't done anything with Office at all and everything seems just fine.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Thank you, Paul.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
XP no longer supported by Microsoft Jun 23, 2015

Dear Linh,
XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you are no longer receiving patches and, in effect, your computer is becoming less and less secure every day.
You might want to think about upgrading to Windows 7 (or even Windows 10, when it comes).
-Mike-

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Rather upgrade to Windows 8 Jun 23, 2015

Marketing-Lang. wrote:
XP is no longer supported by Microsoft ... You might want to think about upgrading to Windows 7 ...

Owing to the fact that Windows 8 uses a lot less system resources than Windows 7, Windows 7 may be less likely to run well on a Windows XP machine than Windows 8.

Vietnam
Member (2014)
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Been running Win7 Jun 23, 2015

Marketing-Lang. wrote:

Dear Linh,
XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you are no longer receiving patches and, in effect, your computer is becoming less and less secure every day.
You might want to think about upgrading to Windows 7 (or even Windows 10, when it comes).
-Mike-

Thanks, Mike.

I have been running both W7 and XP. W7 is on my Thinkpad latop and XP for my good and old Dell PC.

I've tried W8 and never liked it. W10 might be a different story, fast and elegant.

LD

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:48
German to English
+ ...
Don't XP users get a free upgrade to Windows 10? Jun 23, 2015

My PC that runs XP currently has a little icon sitting in the taskbar telling me I can get Windows 10 for free when it's released. Should solve the compatibility problem with Studio, no?

Vietnam
Member (2014)
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Get Windows 10 icon Jun 23, 2015

Richard Foulkes wrote:

My PC that runs XP currently has a little icon sitting in the taskbar telling me I can get Windows 10 for free when it's released. Should solve the compatibility problem with Studio, no?

As far as I know only Windows 7 and Windows 8(.1) can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free! I already got the icon on my Win7 system .

Can you can send the captured screen of the task bar?

LD

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Be careful... Jun 23, 2015

Upgrading XP or W7 to W8, 8.1 or 10 requires that all software and drivers needs to be reinstalled. That can be extremely time consuming and you need to reset all of your settings for every program. Upgrading from W8 to W8.1 or 10 does not require all of the software to be reinstalled and all of the settings are saved.

If your XP is offering an upgrade to W10 I would go for it, when W10 is available.

Ben

roak
United States
German to English
Is this upgrade feature really available to all? Jun 23, 2015

Sorry if my que sounds funny, but I dont see any icon on my system. Its an XP and I would be glad to upgrade, but Richard was saying he sees an icon on his system prompting him to upgrade. I dont see any such icon here. Can someone please advise?
Thanks

[Edited at 2015-06-23 10:59 GMT]

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Is this upgrade feature really available to all? Jun 23, 2015

Hi All

I have come across a couple of XP users recently that have stated the same recently and it may be wise to err on the side of caution.
After checking MS websites and other sources, there does NOT seem to be any 'free' upgrade offers at all for XP users.
Only W10 Beta testers would appear to be eligible!
In regards to being cautious-
MS has not released any security packs for a while now and unless MS can qualify otherwise (that XP users are entitled to free upgrade) I would be wary of the origin of this message at this time.

Kr

Steve
CxD

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Sorry, I might have Windows 7 :) Jun 23, 2015

I don't normally use that PC for work anyway!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it true that SDL Trados Studio 2015 wont run on Windows XP..anymore?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search