Limits on file size or number of files?
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
English to German
+ ...
Jun 23, 2015

Dear all, and Paul in particular,
Is there a limit on the number of files or the size of files that I can process in Studio 2014 (SP2)?

I ask because I am currently having problems processing a project involving the translation of 200,000 words in 3700 xml files.

Even though these files take up just 15 MB of disk space, once they are imported into Studio and merged into one file they take up 70 MB. When I open the file in Studio, the RAM usage soars from just 800 MB (running Studio alone on Win7 Pro) to exceed the 8 GB of memory available -- swapping slows my system down to a crawl.

OK, I'm going to have to split the project into smaller chunks, but I'm curious - 15 MB of XML inflates to choke 8 GB of memory - that's quite a feat!

Am I right in thinking that Studio has a problem dealing with certain types of XML?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
There is no hard limit... Jun 23, 2015

... programmed in. But the more tags in the file the bigger the sdlxliff becomes and if you merge many of these together to form a single file then performance could be degraded. XML files could be very taggy because this will also include the external tags and not just those you see in the editor.

SDL Community Support

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limits on file size or number of files?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search