Studio 2014 - "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version," almost no TM for doc
Thread poster: JoshuaV-M

JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
Jun 23, 2015

Good afternoon, I am in a crisis. I saved my SDL XLIFF right before my computer restarted automatically. I thought there would be no problem, right? Wrong.

Now I can't open the mentioned file that I had saved, with the error message mentioned in the subject appearing. Also, since I generally don't save translation memory until I've conducted my final review of the document so that I don't end up with sub-standard TM units (with me saving only the document itself until the final stages), I saved almost zero units (approximately 100 words out of the 3500 that I had spent hours translating).

For that reason, I started this topic, as it seems that in all the other threads, the translator in question had saved enough translation memory that merely creating a new project for the same document would resolve the bulk of the problem.

Can anything be done in my situation? Please help if possible. Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-06-23 22:52 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:55
English
You should use... Jun 23, 2015

... Project TMs if you want to work like that. Gives you security and a scratchpad TM. Can you navigate to the folder where your SDLXLIFF is and then open the SDLXLIFF as a file in it's own right rather than as part of the original project? That would probably work for you.

Alternatively, import the SDLXLIFF into a TM (just create a new on if you don't want the contents in your main TM yet) and then pretranslate the source file in a new project.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


Direct link Reply with quote
 

JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just tried the second option... Jun 23, 2015

...since I had already tried to open the SDLXLIFF directly from the folder without any success (it is a single-document project).

Anyway, I tried the second option and I got the following error message:

" is an unexpected token. The expected token is '='. Line 30740, position 54

What does this mean?

I look forward to any comments. Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-06-24 00:01 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A few days ago,... Jun 26, 2015

...I decided to start from scratch, since I couldn't save what I had already done. Luckily, I am now right where I should be with the project in order to carry it out well and on time. In the end, I have decided to save every segment to my translation memory, putting an asterisk somewhere in the text of those I wish to review later. Should I decide to change any segments later, I will just change the TM entry and then use the "Apply Translation" function.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version," almost no TM for doc

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search