Studio 2014 - "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version," almost no TM for doc
Thread poster: JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 16:29
Spanish to English
Jun 23, 2015

Good afternoon, I am in a crisis. I saved my SDL XLIFF right before my computer restarted automatically. I thought there would be no problem, right? Wrong.

Now I can't open the mentioned file that I had saved, with the error message mentioned in the subject appearing. Also, since I generally don't save translation memory until I've conducted my final review of the document so that I don't end up with sub-standard TM units (with me saving only the document itself until the final stag
... See more
Good afternoon, I am in a crisis. I saved my SDL XLIFF right before my computer restarted automatically. I thought there would be no problem, right? Wrong.

Now I can't open the mentioned file that I had saved, with the error message mentioned in the subject appearing. Also, since I generally don't save translation memory until I've conducted my final review of the document so that I don't end up with sub-standard TM units (with me saving only the document itself until the final stages), I saved almost zero units (approximately 100 words out of the 3500 that I had spent hours translating).

For that reason, I started this topic, as it seems that in all the other threads, the translator in question had saved enough translation memory that merely creating a new project for the same document would resolve the bulk of the problem.

Can anything be done in my situation? Please help if possible. Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-06-23 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:29
English
You should use... Jun 23, 2015

... Project TMs if you want to work like that. Gives you security and a scratchpad TM. Can you navigate to the folder where your SDLXLIFF is and then open the SDLXLIFF as a file in it's own right rather than as part of the original project? That would probably work for you.

Alternatively, import the SDLXLIFF into a TM (just create a new on if you don't want the contents in your main TM yet) and then pretranslate the source file in a new project.

Regards

... See more
... Project TMs if you want to work like that. Gives you security and a scratchpad TM. Can you navigate to the folder where your SDLXLIFF is and then open the SDLXLIFF as a file in it's own right rather than as part of the original project? That would probably work for you.

Alternatively, import the SDLXLIFF into a TM (just create a new on if you don't want the contents in your main TM yet) and then pretranslate the source file in a new project.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just tried the second option... Jun 23, 2015

...since I had already tried to open the SDLXLIFF directly from the folder without any success (it is a single-document project).

Anyway, I tried the second option and I got the following error message:

" is an unexpected token. The expected token is '='. Line 30740, position 54

What does this mean?

I look forward to any comments. Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-06-24 00:01 GMT]

JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A few days ago,... Jun 26, 2015

...I decided to start from scratch, since I couldn't save what I had already done. Luckily, I am now right where I should be with the project in order to carry it out well and on time. In the end, I have decided to save every segment to my translation memory, putting an asterisk somewhere in the text of those I wish to review later. Should I decide to change any segments later, I will just change the TM entry and then use the "Apply Translation" function.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version," almost no TM for doc

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »