Why Trados Studio 2014 users should never grant a discount for repeated segments in a review file
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2015

Discounting repetitions is always a dubious practice. For instance in my last EN-IT translation review I had segments including only the word "SCOPE", meaning "OSCILLOSCOPE" in some cases and "AMBITO" in others. However, this might be regarded as a relatively rare occurrence and you might be tempted to discount repetitions and exploit efficiently your expensive CAT tool. But if you use Trados, in my opinion you should not do it. Read further if you want to know why.

The featu
... See more
Discounting repetitions is always a dubious practice. For instance in my last EN-IT translation review I had segments including only the word "SCOPE", meaning "OSCILLOSCOPE" in some cases and "AMBITO" in others. However, this might be regarded as a relatively rare occurrence and you might be tempted to discount repetitions and exploit efficiently your expensive CAT tool. But if you use Trados, in my opinion you should not do it. Read further if you want to know why.

The feature meant to avoid any double work is called auto-propagation. During the Review phase, auto-propagation:
- propagates changes and status of identical segments only if you change a segment, and
- does not change the status of identical segments if you do not make any change in a segment.

This forces the reviewer to read practically all the repetitions.

You could think that the solution is simply to select a filter, but:
- if you select "only first occurrences", you do not see segments that do not have repetitions, and
- if you select "new translated content", you cannot be sure that wrong translations coming from earlier TMs are not included in what is hidden by the filter. (To be sure I had to find the definition of the "new translated content" filter in Trados documentation available online only: "When this option is selected, segments with no match or a partial match that have been translated and confirmed are displayed." This means that if a translation comes from a 100% match of somebody's TM and is confirmed, you will not see it using this filter - even if it is totally wrong...)

The result is that, if you want to be sure that you do not miss any error, in most cases, you will need to read every single repeated segment.

MY CONCLUSION
If the above is true, there is no basis for a Trados user to grant discounts for the review of files including repeated segments. If you grant such a discount, you will inevitably end up working some time for free, unless you want to compromise quality.

NB I trust and sincerely hope that some member of the SDL community will read this post and prove me wrong.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Fabio M. Caldas
Fabio M. Caldas  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very interesting topic! Jun 27, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

The feature meant to avoid any double work is called auto-propagation. During the Review phase, auto-propagation:
- propagates changes and status of identical segments only if you change a segment, and
- does not change the status of identical segments if you do not make any change in a segment.

This forces the reviewer to read practically all the repetitions.

You could think that the solution is simply to select a filter, but:
- if you select "only first occurrences", you do not see segments that do not have repetitions, and
- if you select "new translated content", you cannot be sure that wrong translations coming from earlier TMs are not included in what is hidden by the filter. (To be sure I had to find the definition of the "new translated content" filter in Trados documentation available online only: "When this option is selected, segments with no match or a partial match that have been translated and confirmed are displayed." This means that if a translation comes from a 100% match of somebody's TM and is confirmed, you will not see it using this filter - even if it is totally wrong...)

The result is that, if you want to be sure that you do not miss any error, in most cases, you will need to read every single repeated segment.

MY CONCLUSION
If the above is true, there is no basis for a Trados user to grant discounts for the review of files including repeated segments. If you grant such a discount, you will inevitably end up working some time for free, unless you want to compromise quality.

NB I trust and sincerely hope that some member of the SDL community will read this post and prove me wrong.

Dear Luca Tutino,

This is a topic of utmost importance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I hope that not only the SDL community may contribute but that a SDL representative may address to it as well.

Regards

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:38
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sorry - wrong posting Jun 27, 2015

I started a comment regarding translation, in which case it does make sense for me anyway to give a reduction of the rate for 100% and repetitions. But if you are revieweing a translation it doesn't make sense. In actual fact I don't like a word rate at all. In the past the practice was an hourly rate, but I find more and more that the agency demands a word rate, regardless of the quality of the translation. I think that's wrong anyway. And then giving a reduced rate for repetitions and 100% mat... See more
I started a comment regarding translation, in which case it does make sense for me anyway to give a reduction of the rate for 100% and repetitions. But if you are revieweing a translation it doesn't make sense. In actual fact I don't like a word rate at all. In the past the practice was an hourly rate, but I find more and more that the agency demands a word rate, regardless of the quality of the translation. I think that's wrong anyway. And then giving a reduced rate for repetitions and 100% matches doesn't make sense anyway.

[Edited at 2015-06-27 17:34 GMT]
Collapse

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree Autopropagate is complicated! Jul 25, 2015

I've been struggling with this same problem and I read ALL the topics about this issue in proz.com. Paul Filkin from SDL Support answered many of these topics but, even following his advice, I couldn't solve this issue.

I'm almost finishing a HUGE review project of 275k words, from those, 75k are repetitions. I ended up reviewing repetitions on and on, simply because, in Studio 2014, the 100% approved segments are not autopropagating when I don't change anything in them. Funny enoug
... See more
I've been struggling with this same problem and I read ALL the topics about this issue in proz.com. Paul Filkin from SDL Support answered many of these topics but, even following his advice, I couldn't solve this issue.

I'm almost finishing a HUGE review project of 275k words, from those, 75k are repetitions. I ended up reviewing repetitions on and on, simply because, in Studio 2014, the 100% approved segments are not autopropagating when I don't change anything in them. Funny enough is that the segments I corrected are propagating with the TRACK CHANGES!!!

Then I believe it is a bug in Studio. For what I've read, it is still present in Studio 2015.

Hope SDL reads this and corrects this bug!

I'll charge the client in full for all those repetitions. If they say they won't pay me, I'll be very very very very MAD!
Collapse

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
BTW, I'm using the Review mode Jul 25, 2015

Maybe it only works in Translation Mode?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switching to translation mode did not solve it Jul 26, 2015

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:

Maybe it only works in Translation Mode?

I wondered myself and tried to switch to translation mode with no change, just more time lost...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why Trados Studio 2014 users should never grant a discount for repeated segments in a review file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »