xlsm not recognised as a MS Excel format....?
Thread poster: Chris P.

Chris P.
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
German to English
Jun 30, 2015

Greetings all!

I'm informed on importing this Excel file that the format in unrecognised.

Anyone had this experience before?

I've read here of other import difficulties encountered - but not this particular one.

The file is also subject to NDA, so can't be handed out elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:00
English
If the file is unrecognised... Jun 30, 2015

... then I'd be suspicious of the real format. Can you take a copy of the file, then open it in Excel and remove all the contents apart from some non incriminating text and see if this gives you the same problem. If it does then send me that file and I'll take a look, if it doesn't then you are narowing the issue down and should start with the real file (copy of it), split it in half and try both halves. Split the one that doesn't work and repeat this process until you find the problem. This is what we would do but if you can't share the file you'll have to do it.

When you do this test be careful not to change the file format into a proper Excel file that is recognised or you'll defeat the object of the test.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Password Jun 30, 2015

Chris P. wrote:
I'm informed on importing this Excel file that the format in unrecognised.

Had this problem with a Word file a few days ago. Then I realised that it was password protected. A long shot, but just possibly?

Dan


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chris P.
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks thus far! Jun 30, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Chris P. wrote:
I'm informed on importing this Excel file that the format in unrecognised.

Had this problem with a Word file a few days ago. Then I realised that it was password protected. A long shot, but just possibly?

Dan


No password required on opening in Excel itself - and it does open effortlessly in Excel.

In deference to the welcomed SDL comment, it is a rather complex file with filters and hyperlinks (some of them apparently external) and, unfortunately, no, I can't provide any content, since the entire content is business/contractual confidential.

I do appreciate very much the responses thus far!

I thank you both.


Edited with proviso:
The file also has 25-30 tabs (which makes the edit-out option relatively difficult/infeasible)

Edited with kudos:
I really DO quite like Studio 2014!

[Edited at 2015-06-30 08:10 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:00
English
Just in case... Jun 30, 2015

Chris P. wrote:

In deference to the welcomed SDL comment, it is a rather complex file with filters and hyperlinks (some of them apparently external) and, unfortunately, no, I can't provide any content, since the entire content is business/contractual confidential.



... I'll repeat what I said as I guess I wasn't very clear.

SDL Community wrote:

Can you take a copy of the file, then open it in Excel and remove all the contents apart from some non incriminating text and see if this gives you the same problem. If it does then send me that file and I'll take a look, ....



So I asked for a file with nothing in it, or just some random text If the format is not working then this is what we test, not the content. Then we might be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xlsm not recognised as a MS Excel format....?

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search