SDL Studio 2015 - is it safe to upgrade?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:05
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Jun 30, 2015

If my client is using 2014 and I upgrade to 2015, can that lead to problems, or can I safely upgrade as soon as I am finished with the current jobs?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It should not lead to problems .. Jun 30, 2015

... as resources as well as packages are compatible between versions.

The only thing you should avoid is using the newly available file types such as the Word 2016 or the Bilingual Excel because your client will not be able to handle them.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-06-30 20:29 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 1, 2015

Then I will upgrade in the near future, I think.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
English to Arabic
Safe to Upgrade Jul 1, 2015

Hi Roy,

As a freelance license user, you will be able to continue using 2014 on the same machine as 2015 is installed.
This means you can comfortably finish on-going projects (in 2014) before migrating to 2015.
As Studio 2015 uses different licensing technology you only need to upgrade via your SDL account- leaving 2014 active on your PC.
You will not however be able to transfer the older 2014 software to a new PC.

Kind regards

Stev
... See more
Hi Roy,

As a freelance license user, you will be able to continue using 2014 on the same machine as 2015 is installed.
This means you can comfortably finish on-going projects (in 2014) before migrating to 2015.
As Studio 2015 uses different licensing technology you only need to upgrade via your SDL account- leaving 2014 active on your PC.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 1, 2015

That was nice to hear. Then I don't have to be concerned that I cannot get jobs done because I experience problems with 2015.

Maria Grazia Weiner
Maria Grazia Weiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Clarification on continue using 2014 after installation of 2015 Jul 1, 2015

Hi Steve
I read your reply to Roy

- As a freelance license user, you will be able to continue using 2014 on the same machine as 2015 is installed.
You will not however be able to transfer the older 2014 software to a new PC. -

... See more
Hi Steve
I read your reply to Roy

- As a freelance license user, you will be able to continue using 2014 on the same machine as 2015 is installed.
You will not however be able to transfer the older 2014 software to a new PC. -

I am a freelance (plus) licence user, and purchased the upgrade to 2015 rather than the full version. I was given to understand that once I install the upgrade and upgrade the licence, 2014 won't be active any longer on my machine. So can I just install it but not update the licence? Can I update the licence only on one machine and, for the time being, continue to use 2014 on my laptop?

Thank you

Grazia
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Or to the same PC? Jul 2, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Or to the same PC, if you reinstall your system, right?

Piotr

[Edited at 2015-07-02 09:03 GMT]

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Is it safe to upgrade? Jul 2, 2015

Hi Maria Hi Piotr,

To answer both your questions-

As long as you do NOT deactivate your current 2014 license from within Studio and only process the upgrade via your account, you can continue using BOTH 2014 (2011) and 2015 on the SAME machine.
You may continue to do so until you either have to re-install the software and /or wish to move to a new PC. in this case after a new install/migration to a new PC, you will only be able to use 2015.
As Studio 2015 us
... See more
Hi Maria Hi Piotr,

As long as you do NOT deactivate your current 2014 license from within Studio and only process the upgrade via your account, you can continue using BOTH 2014 (2011) and 2015 on the SAME machine.
You may continue to do so until you either have to re-install the software and /or wish to move to a new PC. in this case after a new install/migration to a new PC, you will only be able to use 2015.
As Studio 2015 uses a different licensing technology- after a reinstall the 2015 license will not reactivate 2014 as was the case with 2011/2014 parallel installations.
However by this stage, you will have learnt to love 2015 and wont miss the older versions any more.
If you are a PLUS license user- of course you can continue to also use both 2014/2015 on both machines.

Kr

Steve
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You can upgrade to 2015 without deactivating 2014 first? Jul 2, 2015

... As long as it's done online and not in 2014 offline? I am surprised, but that would be nice.

I guess I have to contact SDL, because the upgrade path I see online is to the 2014 plus version somehow. When I purchased the upgrade it was with the thought of upgrading to 2015 when it was available. That currently does not seem to be possible for me.

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It's possible to run both versions alongside each other Jul 2, 2015

I can confirm that what Steve from SDL wrote is correct. I have installed 2015 and 2014 is still working. This should be useful until it is possible to update or install plug-ins for 2015 (it seems none of the links on www.translationzone.com / SDL Open Exchange) are actually working)

Nick

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Maria Hi Piotr,

As Studio 2015 uses a different licensing technology- after a reinstall the 2015 license will not reactivate 2014 as was the case with 2011/2014 parallel installations.
However by this stage, you will have learnt to love 2015 and wont miss the older versions any more.
If you are a PLUS license user- of course you can continue to also use both 2014/2015 on both machines.

Kr

Steve

[Edited at 2015-07-02 10:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-02 10:45 GMT]

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
It's possible to run both versions alongside each other 11:44 Jul 2, 2015

Hi Nick,

Although not all apps are yet compatible with 2015 yet its worth checking in every couple of days or so. Already there are 10 compatible apps in the Open Exchange and the developers are working to add more on a regular basis.

Kr

Steve

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No problems with Studio 2015 Jul 2, 2015

I have downloaded and installed SDL Studio 2015 Freelance Plus version without any problem at all.

After a couple of days using the trial version, I have activated it without any problem and, to be sure, I have not yet deactivated my 2014 licence (nobody knows what might happen with a new version).

I have carried out a couple of new assignments using Studio 2015 and all seem working smoothly. Having a deep understanding of the 2014 version, I did not find any particular
... See more
I have downloaded and installed SDL Studio 2015 Freelance Plus version without any problem at all.

After a couple of days using the trial version, I have activated it without any problem and, to be sure, I have not yet deactivated my 2014 licence (nobody knows what might happen with a new version).

I have carried out a couple of new assignments using Studio 2015 and all seem working smoothly. Having a deep understanding of the 2014 version, I did not find any particular problem when migrating to 2015 and I enjoyed the new integrated functions (in 2014 they were external apps). All previous 2014 functions are present and work properly and the new ones do not generate any problem. (I do not use any sort of cloud-based function, but this is my decision).

To be honest, even if I do not care as I use the English interface, the only drawback is the praised Italian localization, which, in fact, is incomplete (work in progress?) and the whole Help system remains (for now, I suppose) in English. As I have said, this is not a problem for me, but it is a problem for a client of mine (to be clear… I am not a reseller) who was willing to buy a 2015 licence for their internal use, and asked my advice, but they decided to putting off the purchase at least until the real and complete Italian localization will be available.

Claudio
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2015 - is it safe to upgrade?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »