Copy all recognized terms to target at once
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Finnish to French
Jul 5, 2015

If a source segment has four words, three of which are recognized as belonging to active termbases, can their target equivalents be inserted into the target segment all at once (in Studio 2014/2015)? Or can they only be inserted one at a time? As far as I can see, Copy Source to Target (Ctrl+Ins) always copies terms in their source language form (haven't found any way to modify that behaviour). Am I missing something obvious?

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
auto-assembly? Jul 5, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If a source segment has four words, three of which are recognized as belonging to active termbases, can their target equivalents be inserted into the target segment all at once (in Studio 2014/2015)? Or can they only be inserted one at a time? As far as I can see, Copy Source to Target (Ctrl+Ins) always copies terms in their source language form (haven't found any way to modify that behaviour). Am I missing something obvious?

Sounds kind of like auto-assembly, in CafeTran, and various other CAT tools. In CT, you can switch it on/off @ Edit > Options > Auto-assembling > Automatic insertion of matches.

PS: aha, just saw that you said "at once". I suppose this would be more similar to one of these:

Translation > Insert all exact matches
Translation > Translate selected fragment
Translation > Pre-translate from current segment
Translation > Pre-translate all segments
Translation > Pre-translate untranslated segments

[Edited at 2015-07-05 13:17 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:40
English
Only way to do this... Jul 5, 2015

... that I'm aware of is to use the Terminjector plugin. This can insert the translations for recognised terms into the matches you get from your TM, or if no match is found just replace the terms alongside the source content.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just wait until Studio 2016… Jul 5, 2015

I'm sure the the Terminjector plugin (or another, similar tool from the SDL OpenExchange) will have been incorporated into Studio by then, and possibly renamed something like auto-assembler/auto-assembly, etc.

Quite a clever business model: you allow users and outside developers to develop the missing functionality, and then (buy it from them and) stick it in your own product.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:40
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Studio 2016? Jul 5, 2015

Sure there will be a Studio 2016? The next in line would be 2017. The reason for 2014 is apparently the fear that some users (especially Americans, of course - re. how American hotels skip the 13th floor) would fear buying Studio 2013. So if you want to wait until the next build, which probably will be in 2017, you are welcome, of course.

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 5, 2015

SDL Community wrote:
... that I'm aware of is to use the Terminjector plugin. This can insert the translations for recognised terms into the matches you get from your TM, or if no match is found just replace the terms alongside the source content.

Thanks, Paul! I've read great things about Terminjector (including from your own blog), but I'm not sure it would be a practical solution for most users. At least I had problems understanding how to use it.

I'm surprised Studio hasn't got any built-in way to copy all recognized terms in one go, together with non-recognized bits of the source segment. Generally speaking, I'm no big fan of "auto-assembling", but if there's one scenario where it usually works pretty well (including in dissimilar language pairs), it's with shortish segments (2 to 4 words).

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
My question was about Studio Jul 5, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Sounds kind of like auto-assembly, in CafeTran, and various other CAT tools. In CT, you can switch it on/off @ Edit > Options > Auto-assembling > Automatic insertion of matches.

Yes, I'm very well aware of this feature in CafeTran. In fact, I told the world about it in my recent "first steps" video. However, my question was not about how CafeTran would do it, but whether the 800-pound gorilla (aka SDL Trados Studio) would have such a feature. It turns out it doesn't, which I find quite surprising. FWIW, Wordfast has had it several years before CafeTran even existed, and Déjà Vu even before that. As I said, I don't think very highly of auto-assembling, but it usually works pretty well with very short segments (less than five words).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy all recognized terms to target at once

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search