Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 8, 2015

Hi everyone!

I just got around to updating Trados Studio from 2011 and 2014. After completing the installation, a window popped up inviting me to subscribe to SDL Language Cloud and I am now contemplating whether I should or not. All the information I could find online was on the SDL website, so probably not the most objective info

Does anyone use it and can you give me some feedback on the pros and cons?
... See more
Hi everyone!

I just got around to updating Trados Studio from 2011 and 2014. After completing the installation, a window popped up inviting me to subscribe to SDL Language Cloud and I am now contemplating whether I should or not. All the information I could find online was on the SDL website, so probably not the most objective info

Does anyone use it and can you give me some feedback on the pros and cons? Do you feel it speeds up your translation process, increases the quality of your translation, etc.? Have you had any technical issues with it (I hate to mess with Trados once it's finally up and running…)

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Julia
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:14
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
A paid subscription is overpriced in my view Jul 8, 2015

I have a free subscription to SDL Language Cloud, which is fine enough, but as there are other similar services, both Google Cloud and a Microsoft service that are much less pricy, I don't see any reason to pay the price they ask for it. Google Cloud and Microsoft's services seem to work fine enough for me at least.

Roy

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Depends on the language pairs Jul 8, 2015

Hi Julia,

I think it very much depends on the language pairs and directions. It wasn't good for my combinations which include Bulgarian - not a much popular language to build a decent and reliable MT base.

Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought it was a bit pricey too... Jul 8, 2015

Thanks for your feedback Roy. Yeah, the price tag on it definitely causes me to hesitate. I guess it is one thing to charge an arm and a leg for their translation software, because the competition is still somewhat limited, but that is a different story with Cloud services. Was just wondering whether the Language Cloud provides any advantages that might justify the price...

Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I work mainly from English into German Jul 8, 2015

Good point, Ekaterina, thanks. I translate from English into German (and occasionally the other way round), so I would think that there is probably a larger MT base for both language combinations...

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
English to Arabic
Error 23 Jul 8, 2015

Hi all,

Language Cloud distinguishes itself apart from the providers such as Google and MS
in the fact that we do NOT store or reuse your content.
Once you request a translation from SDL Cloud your original text is discarded.
I think this could be very important for those translating confidential text.
Also unlike other 'free' services (what is free?)-SDL offer trained engines in a number of verticals.
Anyhow, why not subscribe to the free MONTHS trial
... See more
Hi all,

Language Cloud distinguishes itself apart from the providers such as Google and MS
in the fact that we do NOT store or reuse your content.
Once you request a translation from SDL Cloud your original text is discarded.
I think this could be very important for those translating confidential text.
Also unlike other 'free' services (what is free?)-SDL offer trained engines in a number of verticals.
Anyhow, why not subscribe to the free MONTHS trial (no obligation) and try it out.
If after the trial you don't want to 'subscribe' (from just US$ 10 per month including dictionary and 750,000 characters) you can continue to use the community engine that still provides over half a million characters peer month FREE of charge.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The comparison with GT and MS is comparing apple with oranges Jul 9, 2015

The benefit of Language Cloud is that it has trained engines for various industries as well as offering the ability to plugin your own terminology to increase the accuracy of your MT results.

See a short video explaining the benefits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv11IvU4B8

GT and MS can't offer this as their engines are baseline generic and not
... See more
The benefit of Language Cloud is that it has trained engines for various industries as well as offering the ability to plugin your own terminology to increase the accuracy of your MT results.

See a short video explaining the benefits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv11IvU4B8

GT and MS can't offer this as their engines are baseline generic and not tailored to suject matter.

Thanks,
Luis
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Nice animation, but... Jul 9, 2015

... also have a look at the lecture of Philipp Koehn, following on the SDL-animation, where he explains the development of MT. Still a very long way to go!

Particulary interesting is his answer on the question when MT will replace human translators: 'Not in my lifetime', and he isn't that old yet.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Agreed Jul 9, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

... also have a look at the lecture of Philipp Koehn, following on the SDL-animation, where he explains the development of MT. Still a very long way to go!

Particulary interesting is his answer on the question when MT will replace human translators: 'Not in my lifetime', and he isn't that old yet.

I'd agree, not sure where anyone has stated that it will replace the human translator? I don't think it ever will.

But if it can assist a translator, like it does with AutoSuggest by suggesting phrases, rather than full segments, why not benefit from it?

Obviously it's highly dependent on what materials you translator and subjects.

Thanks,
Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who can share their experience with SDL Language Cloud

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »