SDL upgrade to 2014 not valid
Thread poster: Sindy Cremer

Sindy Cremer

Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 8, 2015

I signed up for a TGB because I want to upgrade from Trados Studio 2011 to Studio 2014.

The TGB website offers an upgrade from Studio 2011 to Studio 2014 http://www.proz.com/tgb/977

I do not want to upgrade to Studio 2015.

Today I received a call for payment.

Nowhere on the website am I given an option to upgrade to Studio 2014 and yet, I am still forced to pay € 195 for an upgrade that I did not sign up for.

These things really p me off, excusez mon français.

I know I can't do anything about this - I'm just a translator and SDL holds all the keys to my upgrade, but I feel ripped off. Hence this rant.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
English to Italian
Information from SDL Jul 8, 2015

Dear Sindy,

I am from SDL.

We currently offer the upgrade to Studio 2015. We have closed sales of Studio 2014 on 30th June after we launched our new version. This has been our standard practice for some time. If you signed up to a TGB before 30th June you would have signed up to a 2014 upgrade which then would have closed or converted into 2015.

Potentially you might have received an email from Proz.com rather than us - this could happen if you signed up to the TGB. I believe they send reminders. This would explain why there is no order in our system.

I have tried to look in your account and I can not see an order - but perhaps I am not looking in the right place - you can contact me directly if this is the case.

We do not contact people for payment - if you pay by credit card obviously the payment is instantaneous. If you choose bank transfer you have 30 days to pay for the license, but we would normally not chase you down.

In regards to 2014 - is there a specific reason why you would rather use 2014 instead of 2015? The 2 are compatible and you can work on 2014 projects in 2015. The user interface although updated is in structure the same an TM and bilingual files are also compatible.

If you like - feel free to contact me or the team directly and we can try and see what we can do.

Kind regards
Massimo

Sindy Cremer

Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Massimo Jul 9, 2015

Thanks for your response.

I am simply confused.

All I want is to upgrade to 2014. The TGB on Proz (see the link I provided in my rant) clearly offered me that option, else I would not have subscribed.

I don't know what you mean by "I have tried to look in your account and I can not see an order - but perhaps I am not looking in the right place" => I simply entered my name on the Proz.com website to join the TGB for the upgrade.

I don't know what you mean by 'We do not contact people for payment' => when the TGB was complete (50 people) I received a call for payments via my Proz.com account. If you want I can send you a copy of the e-mail I received, but I'm sure that won't be necessary.

In short, I am confused (and frustrated) by the fact that I signed up for one, and seem forced to get the other.

Kind regards,
Sindy

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
English to Italian
Further information Jul 9, 2015

Dear Sindy,

the TGB - http://www.proz.com/tgb/977 is for Studio 2015.
It was for Studio 2014 (with an automatic upgrade to Studio 2015) back in June - but if you did not complete the payment it by 29th June 2015 - it had been then converted to Studio 2015 - which is the product we are currently selling.

It is not SDL who is sending the call for payment. Proz.com is asking you to pay - as you subscribed - but it is entirely up to you on whether you would like to purchase or not.

I guess the issue all come down to timing and the fact that the TGB concluded at the point of transition between Studio 2014 and Studio 2015 and the only product we fulfil now is Studio 2015.

Is there any particular reason for preferring Studio 2014 to Studio 2015?
Perhaps we can help you to see whether Studio 2015 is an option for you.

It is fully compatible - so you should not encounter any issue on whether you are using one or the other. It also adds some new features but the key principles are the same.

If there is anything I can do to help - please feel free to contact me directly via the Proz.com messaging system and we could discuss whether 2015 can work for you.

Kind regards
Massimo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL upgrade to 2014 not valid

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search