Germany
Local time: 12:37
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2015

Hallo,

This is a very basic question ...

I am a new user of Studio 2014. I was sent some sdlxliff files by my client. I've created a project, merged files ... and wanted to take a few printouts in Word. However, "save target as" gives me ... something with an .idml extension.

Don't people normally take printouts in Word? Can someone tell me how I can get a Word version of these texts so I can see what they're supposed to look like

Would be very grateful for any and all suggestions

Thanks,
anu

Direct link Reply with quote

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:37
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sawiyam, Jul 8, 2015

I'm not a very experienced Studio user, but I think that since these files are in IDML format you will only be able to open them if you have InDesign installed on your computer. When I translate IDML files using Studio I can never see what the final project looks like because I do not have the software.

You can open a bilingual word file using the external review function, but you won't be able to see any pictures or the layout of the original file.

I hope I was able to help.

Catarina

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay Jul 8, 2015

uh oh ... thank you for your input ... But that's not good news

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Anu Jul 8, 2015

If your client sends you idml files, you should request them to send you also PDFs so you could see what you are actually translating as sometimes it is virtually impossible to translate something correctly without seeing the layout (tables, for example).

Natalia

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay Jul 8, 2015

Natalie wrote:

If your client sends you idml files, you should request them to send you also PDFs so you could see what you are actually translating as sometimes it is virtually impossible to translate something correctly without seeing the layout (tables, for example).

Natalia

Thank you, Natalie, for the suggestion

I'll do that now ....

Regards,
Anu

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:37
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Jul 8, 2015

The client always sends me the files in PDF so I get an idea of the project layout.

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scribus? Jul 8, 2015

I might download Scribus - so I can see what my translation is looking like.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why do you think Scribes would help? Jul 9, 2015

Swaiyam wrote:

I might download Scribus - so I can see what my translation is looking like.

How do you expect Scribus to help you getting a preview of your translated document?

If you translate an IDML file, the only way to get a preview is to have InDesign installed on your computer. If you don't have it, you create the target IDML and send it to your client, who then imports it again into InDesign.

As other posters suggested, it is always good to ask for a PDF of the source document so that you can at least see the layout.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

idml instead of Word?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search