Difference between changes in PROJECT SETTINGS and OPTIONS (Trados 2014)
Thread poster: Natalia Ulla

Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:12
English to Spanish
Jul 11, 2015

Hi,

I am really confused. I don´t understand the difference between changing settings in "Project settings" or in "Setup" (File->Options). For example if I am making changes to TM settings, or adding Translation Memories etc... Or any other change I want to change for that matter...

If I add TMs them in the Project settings, it works, but then in Options the settings are different (different active TMs, etc). This is to put an example. Which one is my project using? Why is there two different settings?

I also don't understand why some TMs stay always in "All language pairs". Do they need to be removed manually when not in use, or can they be left always there? Also in Proj. Settings and Options those TMs (in ALL LANGUAGE PAIRS) are different!

I have been looking for answers to many questions for days. I am exhausted!

Can anyone shed some light? I include pictures, to make it easier...

Project settings
Options

Thanks!

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:12
German to English
Where should the changes be made? Jul 11, 2015

Hi Natalia,

If you make any changes in "Options" from the "File" tab in the ribbon, the changes you make refer to the current and all future projects.

Whereas if you make any changes in "Project settings" the changes you make apply to just that project and no others.

Regards
Ben

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
One change to this... Jul 11, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

If you make any changes in "Options" from the "File" tab in the ribbon, the changes you make refer to the current and all future projects.

Whereas if you make any changes in "Project settings" the changes you make apply to just that project and no others.

... because making changes to the File -> Options will not affect the current Project. It only affects future Projects. You can onoy change the current Project through Project Settings. An excellent explanation of the differences can be found here:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/12/18/tea-and-settings/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
On All Language Pairs... Jul 11, 2015

Natalia Ulla wrote:

I also don't understand why some TMs stay always in "All language pairs". Do they need to be removed manually when not in use, or can they be left always there? Also in Proj. Settings and Options those TMs (in ALL LANGUAGE PAIRS) are different!

... you generally only add TMs to All Language Pairs rather than the specific Language Pair. The reason for this is that you can apply settings in All Language Pairs that then apply to every TM in every Language Pair in your Project, and you only apply the settings once to have this apply to all your TMs and Language Pairs. This is particularly important in MultiLingual Projects where you can imagine making changes to 30+ languages for example would be quite time consuming.

But if you wanted one or more languages to have different settings to the rest then you would use the specific Language Pair to achieve this.

So the rule of thumb would be always use All Language Pairs unless you have a good reason to have the settings for one language pair different to another. I think for mosr Freelancers who only work with Bilingual projects it makes sense to always use All Language Pairs.

Now, having said this there are exceptions. AutoSuggest Dictionaries, AutoSubstitution settings for example are language specific in Studio so you have to use the specific language pair to set these up. And termbases are always All Language Pairs irrespective of anything else you do.

So I agree this is quite confusing until you get used to it. But hopefully this will explain it for you?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:12
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Jul 16, 2015

Thanks everyone, I get it now!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between changes in PROJECT SETTINGS and OPTIONS (Trados 2014)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search