Repeat analysis different from 1st. Why?
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
Jul 14, 2015

Dear all,
I am really puzzled by my analyses for a large scale project. When I create the project including a (long-standing) TM and the source files, I get one result. But if after importing everything I carry out a repeat analysis (Batch tasks > Analysis) I get totally different results. The total word count is unchanged, but the fuzzy matches are dramatically different.
This is having a huge effect on my pricing and quotations!
Any idea what's going on?
Here's the first analysis when the project was created:

screen1.png

And here's the second, the only difference being that the project TM is listed in addition (as would be expected, right?)

screen2.png

Any suggestions greatly appreciated (beyond of course repeating every analysis for every project ever to come...)

-Mike-

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:53
German to Turkish
+ ...
It is quite normal, Jul 14, 2015

when you consider that the analysis is based on the TM's you provide. The total number of words cannot be different but as the 2nd TM you added has more matches, you have an accordingly different analysis result.
If you are offering discounts based on TM's, it matters whose TM's you are using. I believe the project TM (teh 2nd one here) belongs to the customer, so it is that one you will use when stating a price.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jul 14, 2015

Dear Elif,
Thanks for your reply. However, the second TM (the project TM) is derived from my main TM, so there is nothing in it that was not in the main TM to start with.
That is what is puzzling me.
-M-

Turkey
German to Turkish
+ ...
But then what did you import? Jul 14, 2015

Marketing-Lang. wrote:

... But if after importing everything I carry out a repeat analysis (Batch tasks > Analysis) I get totally different results...

-Mike-

or what kind of modification did you perform on the original TM?

[Edited at 2015-07-14 08:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-14 08:40 GMT]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The source files for translation. Jul 14, 2015

Sorry if that was not clear. And I did not modify the TM. The project TM is merely an extract of matches from the original main TM.
-M-

[Edited at 2015-07-14 09:47 GMT]

Turkey
German to Turkish
+ ...
:) Now I am lost. Jul 14, 2015

In the analyses, I see one file each in Gesamtüberblick. I assumed that you runned the analyses on the same file, first using one TM, and then using another/additional TM.

It is obvious that an analysis with the same file and the same TM would give the same result. But what was different between the two analyses? Could you be more clear?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When you create a new project... Jul 14, 2015

... the project TM does not exist yet, only the original "main" TM. If Studio finds any matches, it writes these segments to a new project TM (the advantage being that you can send the project to a translator without having to send the entire original TM, which may be very large).

But since the project TM only contains segments copied from the main TM, an analysis should yield identical results.

Just not in this case, for some strange reason...

I see that Studio is acting normally for my other projects, so maybe this is just a quirk and a "one-off" (hopefully)...
-M-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repeat analysis different from 1st. Why?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search