https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/288235-how_can_i_hide_a_column_in_ms_word_before_opening_in_studio_2014.html

How can I hide a column in MS Word before opening in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:38
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2015

I received a solution here at ProZ earlier that involved creating a new column in the Excel file for translation, copying the source contents to this new column and then hiding the source column before opening the Excel file in Studio 2014. Then when I have finished translating and create the target file in Excel I I just open this and unhide the source column to get the format in Excel my customer wants: source colum
... See more

I received a solution here at ProZ earlier that involved creating a new column in the Excel file for translation, copying the source contents to this new column and then hiding the source column before opening the Excel file in Studio 2014. Then when I have finished translating and create the target file in Excel I I just open this and unhide the source column to get the format in Excel my customer wants: source column and target column.

Now I have a Word document with source and target column, so I wonder if I can do the same here somehow?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hide the text, instead of the column. Jul 14, 2015

See also:

http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html
http://www.translatortools.net/excel-about.html

Michael

[Edited at 2015-07-14 17:01 GMT]

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No Way Jul 15, 2015

As far as I know you cannot hide a column in MS Word.

The solution is to select the column you do not need to translate and apply to it the "Hidden text" feature.

Then you can import the MS Word file in SDL Studio (2014 or 2015) provided that you have "instructed" SDL Studio not to process hidden text (File > Options > File types > Microsoft Word 2007-2013 > Common > DEACTIVATE the option "Extract hidden text for translation").

I hope this might help.
... See more
As far as I know you cannot hide a column in MS Word.

The solution is to select the column you do not need to translate and apply to it the "Hidden text" feature.

Then you can import the MS Word file in SDL Studio (2014 or 2015) provided that you have "instructed" SDL Studio not to process hidden text (File > Options > File types > Microsoft Word 2007-2013 > Common > DEACTIVATE the option "Extract hidden text for translation").

I hope this might help.

Claudio
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Copy and paste Jul 16, 2015

Good old handwork, if I understand you correctly. Copy the text that has to be translated, paste it in an empty/new Word file, save it, open it with Studio, make your translation, save it as "Save target", copy and paste it back into the original file, and voila.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »