José Guedes
Brazil
Local time: 22:09
Member (2012)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2015

Hello!

I have a few large, bilingual word files that I need to translate. On the left side, I have the source, and, on the right, I have the space for translating. However, I am going to use Trados for this, so what I do is copy the source to the right side, hide it on the left so it is not picked up by Trados, transate it, then, once I am done, I just unhide the source on the left and it works perfectly.

However, the source segments are structured in repeating "parts" that are separated by tags. For example:

Segment 1: "Blablabla"[1], "Blergh, blergh, blergh"[2], "ZZZZZ"[3], "XXXX" [4]

The parts are a lot larger of course. The problem is, not only are all segments too big, but the TM is also a lot less efficient. These parts repeat very often in different orders, for example:

Segment 2: "ZZZZZ"[1], "Blergh, blergh,blergh"[2], "XXXX" [3] "Blablabla"[4]

This is a problem because the TM does not pick the already translated text. My question is, is there a way to automatically break these segments up inside Trados right after the tag symbols? Or is there such a thing as an "in-segment" TM setting that combines smaller, confirmed segments to make larger ones?

EDIT: Right now what I'm trying to do is use Word's search and replace feature to replace all "[" characters with a manual line break character followed by the "[" character again. This works and, in word, separates each part into a new line. However, probably because each segment is in a table cell, Trados still picks them up as being one segment with added tags inbetween (I tried using both the manual line break character and the paragraph character. How can I change this?

[Editada em 2015-07-21 19:51 GMT]

[Editada em 2015-07-21 19:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

José Guedes
Brazil
Member (2012)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a Jul 22, 2015

Nobody?

José Guedes
Brazil
Member (2012)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Jul 23, 2015

Replacing "[" with "^p[" in Word did the trick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically splitting segments after tags or "in-segment" TM

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search