José Guedes
José Guedes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2015

Hello!

I have a few large, bilingual word files that I need to translate. On the left side, I have the source, and, on the right, I have the space for translating. However, I am going to use Trados for this, so what I do is copy the source to the right side, hide it on the left so it is not picked up by Trados, transate it, then, once I am done, I just unhide the source on the left and it works perfectly.

However, the source segments are structured in repeating "parts"
... See more
Hello!

I have a few large, bilingual word files that I need to translate. On the left side, I have the source, and, on the right, I have the space for translating. However, I am going to use Trados for this, so what I do is copy the source to the right side, hide it on the left so it is not picked up by Trados, transate it, then, once I am done, I just unhide the source on the left and it works perfectly.

However, the source segments are structured in repeating "parts" that are separated by tags. For example:

Segment 1: "Blablabla"[1], "Blergh, blergh, blergh"[2], "ZZZZZ"[3], "XXXX" [4]

The parts are a lot larger of course. The problem is, not only are all segments too big, but the TM is also a lot less efficient. These parts repeat very often in different orders, for example:

Segment 2: "ZZZZZ"[1], "Blergh, blergh,blergh"[2], "XXXX" [3] "Blablabla"[4]

This is a problem because the TM does not pick the already translated text. My question is, is there a way to automatically break these segments up inside Trados right after the tag symbols? Or is there such a thing as an "in-segment" TM setting that combines smaller, confirmed segments to make larger ones?

EDIT: Right now what I'm trying to do is use Word's search and replace feature to replace all "[" characters with a manual line break character followed by the "[" character again. This works and, in word, separates each part into a new line. However, probably because each segment is in a table cell, Trados still picks them up as being one segment with added tags inbetween (I tried using both the manual line break character and the paragraph character. How can I change this?

[Editada em 2015-07-21 19:51 GMT]

[Editada em 2015-07-21 19:54 GMT]
Collapse

José Guedes
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a Jul 22, 2015

Nobody?

José Guedes
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Jul 23, 2015

Replacing "[" with "^p[" in Word did the trick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically splitting segments after tags or "in-segment" TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »