Portugal
Local time: 04:36
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 22, 2015

Hello,

I am working in Studio 2011.
I am translating an Excel file with string text that frequently contains the following: {0} or {1}or '{0}' and similar.

Now I would like to import the file for translating and would like to display those placeholders as tags, so that I don´t have to type them, but can insert them by using a short key. However, I don´t know which expression to type into the 'embedded content' field in File Types to make it work.

... See more
Hello,

I am working in Studio 2011.
I am translating an Excel file with string text that frequently contains the following: {0} or {1}or '{0}' and similar.

Now I would like to import the file for translating and would like to display those placeholders as tags, so that I don´t have to type them, but can insert them by using a short key. However, I don´t know which expression to type into the 'embedded content' field in File Types to make it work.

I would be grateful for hints on the topic.

Thanks!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-07-23 19:51 GMT]
Collapse

Uta Schulz
Uta Schulz  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer yet. Please, help! Jul 23, 2015

Anybody?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's how, I think Jul 23, 2015

Uta Schulz wrote:
I would like to import the file for translating and would like to display those placeholders as tags, so that I don´t have to type them, but can insert them by using a short key. However, I don´t know which expression to type into the 'embedded content' field in File Types to make it work.

Using this information and bit of regex knowledge, here's how I think you should do it:

1. In Trados, go to Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft Excel > Embedded Content.
2. Tick "Enable embedded content processing", and click the Add button.
3. Select "Cell" from the drop-down list, and click OK. The text "sdl:cell" appears in the box.
4. Then lower down, click Add and then add this information:
- Tag Type: Placeholder
- Start Tag: \ { [ 0 - 9 ] + ? \ } (remove spaces)

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something and see what effect your change has had on the file. Now I understand why it is not considered onerous to edit OmegaT's segmentation rules...

Uta Schulz
Uta Schulz  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jul 24, 2015

Thanks, Samuel, it worked! I have to get myself into a regex webinar one day...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
That's do it... Jul 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Using this information and bit of regex knowledge, here's how I think you should do it:

1. In Trados, go to Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft Excel > Embedded Content.
2. Tick "Enable embedded content processing", and click the Add button.
3. Select "Cell" from the drop-down list, and click OK. The text "sdl:cell" appears in the box.
4. Then lower down, click Add and then add this information:
- Tag Type: Placeholder
- Start Tag: \ { [ 0 - 9 ] + ? \ } (remove spaces)

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something and see what effect your change has had on the file. Now I understand why it is not considered onerous to edit OmegaT's segmentation rules...

... but this may be easier:

{\d+}

Also worth noting you don't need to create a project every time. Just use the open document to retest the segmentation and when you're happy then create your project.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Re: regex and testing Jul 26, 2015

Thanks for this, Samuel. I've just adapted your regex pattern to catch text between angle brackets <like this>:
\<.+?\>

Samuel Murray wrote:

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something

Another way to test the regex pattern (in addition to Paul's suggestion) is to open the file as is in the editor and then test it by using Ctrl+F (Find window) with "regular expressions" enabled.

That's quite neat for less proficient regex users like me. After that, the embedded content simply falls into place

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 how to display {0} as tag

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »