Portugal
Local time: 02:01
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 22, 2015

Hello,

I am working in Studio 2011.
I am translating an Excel file with string text that frequently contains the following: {0} or {1}or '{0}' and similar.

Now I would like to import the file for translating and would like to display those placeholders as tags, so that I don´t have to type them, but can insert them by using a short key. However, I don´t know which expression to type into the 'embedded content' field in File Types to make it work.

I would be grateful for hints on the topic.

Thanks!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-07-23 19:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Uta Schulz  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer yet. Please, help! Jul 23, 2015

Anybody?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's how, I think Jul 23, 2015

Uta Schulz wrote:
I would like to import the file for translating and would like to display those placeholders as tags, so that I don´t have to type them, but can insert them by using a short key. However, I don´t know which expression to type into the 'embedded content' field in File Types to make it work.

Using this information and bit of regex knowledge, here's how I think you should do it:

1. In Trados, go to Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft Excel > Embedded Content.
2. Tick "Enable embedded content processing", and click the Add button.
3. Select "Cell" from the drop-down list, and click OK. The text "sdl:cell" appears in the box.
4. Then lower down, click Add and then add this information:
- Tag Type: Placeholder
- Start Tag: \ { [ 0 - 9 ] + ? \ } (remove spaces)

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something and see what effect your change has had on the file. Now I understand why it is not considered onerous to edit OmegaT's segmentation rules...

Uta Schulz  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jul 24, 2015

Thanks, Samuel, it worked! I have to get myself into a regex webinar one day...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
That's do it... Jul 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Using this information and bit of regex knowledge, here's how I think you should do it:

1. In Trados, go to Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft Excel > Embedded Content.
2. Tick "Enable embedded content processing", and click the Add button.
3. Select "Cell" from the drop-down list, and click OK. The text "sdl:cell" appears in the box.
4. Then lower down, click Add and then add this information:
- Tag Type: Placeholder
- Start Tag: \ { [ 0 - 9 ] + ? \ } (remove spaces)

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something and see what effect your change has had on the file. Now I understand why it is not considered onerous to edit OmegaT's segmentation rules...

... but this may be easier:

{\d+}

Also worth noting you don't need to create a project every time. Just use the open document to retest the segmentation and when you're happy then create your project.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Re: regex and testing Jul 26, 2015

Thanks for this, Samuel. I've just adapted your regex pattern to catch text between angle brackets &ltlike this&gt:
\&lt.+?\&gt

Samuel Murray wrote:

And the only way to test this is to create a new project every time you change something

Another way to test the regex pattern (in addition to Paul's suggestion) is to open the file as is in the editor and then test it by using Ctrl+F (Find window) with "regular expressions" enabled.

That's quite neat for less proficient regex users like me. After that, the embedded content simply falls into placeicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 how to display {0} as tag

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search