Impossible to convert SDLXLIFF to IDML format after translation
Thread poster: eu-coordination --

eu-coordination --
Local time: 20:09
French to Chinese
Jul 24, 2015

Hello,
A translator who has translated IDML several files in Trados can not save files in the same format (idml). Now the files are under SDLXLIFF format and it is impossible to open them in InDesign. Could someone explain the registration process?
Thank you a lot!
Benjamin REJOU

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not enough data for answering Jul 25, 2015

Which version of softwares are we talking about?

Did the translator receive idml's and created sdlxliff's by himself or did he receive sdlxliff's from the outsourcer?

What does "can not save files in the same format (idml)" mean? Are there any error messages?
Did the translator run the verification?

eu-coordination --
French to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Conversion of SDLXLIFF to IDML format after translation Jul 25, 2015

Many thanks for your help!
Can our Korean translator communicate with you directly?
All the best

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Too bad... Jul 25, 2015

eu-coordination -- wrote:
Could someone explain the registration process?

It's too bad Trados limits the installed languages, otherwise anyone of us with Trados could have tried to help convert the files for you. But that is not their policy, alas. Now only translators who have Korean as one of their installed languages may be able to help you.

I agree with Natalie, though. It would be useful to know what error messages are given, for perhaps it is a known problem that we know how to solve. Perhaps your translator can post their information directly in the forum here.

eu-coordination --
French to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
SDL TRADOS 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Hello,
I just installed Trados 2015. When I open a file IDML it works well. In the "Editor" file is named: IDML.
When I close my file by the procedure "save as" it is automatically saved in SDLXLIFF format. If I do it with "save target as" it saves the file to IDML but source file! Could you explain the procedure to close the file and save it in original format IDML.
I'm not used to this tool and it's probably my fault!
Thank you a lot
Benjamin

eu-coordination --
French to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
SDL TRADOS 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Hello Samuel,
Many thanks for your help!
It appears this is not a language problem because the trial version I just installed displays all the text well. There is no error messages!
The ideal for me is to transfer files to a translator who could try to save the IDML.
If you know a person ...
All the best,
Benjamin

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Suggested reading Jul 25, 2015

When I close my file by the procedure "save as" it is automatically saved in SDLXLIFF format. If I do it with "save target as" it saves the file to IDML but source file!

As I understand, you've translated the file and then clicked "save file as" (shift+F12).
Perhaps it might help to read this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
English to Spanish
... Jul 25, 2015

Hello,
I just installed Trados 2015. When I open a file IDML it works well. In the "Editor" file is named: IDML.
When I close my file by the procedure "save as" it is automatically saved in SDLXLIFF format. If I do it with "save target as" it saves the file to IDML but source file!

Are you looking in the right folder, the target language folder?

Maybe you are looking in the source language folder.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to convert SDLXLIFF to IDML format after translation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search