Studio 2014 freezing for 2nd consecutive occasion in middle of big job
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:00
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 25, 2015

I thought the last time this happened was a one-off, so didn't bother posting last time, but no such luck. It's happening again in exactly the same way, and I just can't find the logic behind it.

Let me explain:

Firstly, I've done the old checking of stray page breaks without paragraph marks.

I simply reach a certain segment and Studio just freezes when I try to confirm it. I close the file and find the offending text in the word file and look for abnormalities, run Code Zapper, and open up again in Studio and it freezes again always in exactly the same place.

The only work around I've found, on both occasions, is to remove a few paragraphs around the offending text and viola, Studio doesn't freeze. Out of curiosity I've pasted the offending text into a single page word file and although the few paragraphs get translated by the TM, if I Ctrl + Enter, it freezes again.

I was thinking that perhaps the Word file somehow gets corrupt, so I copied the text and pasted to a plain text file, then copy from there and re-paste in a new, clean Word file, and yes, same again. It freezes.

Where's the logic?

This is a 40,000 word 2007 MS Word file.

Of course, this is incredibly annoying and time consuming, so if anyone can throw some light, it would be much appreciated. The worst thing is that it's happened on two consecutive [tight deadline] jobs, so, although I love Studio's functions [at least in theory], it will soon be one time too many and I'll have to seriously consider learning a new CAT tool.

If anyone is interested in testing the one-page file, I can send it.

Good luck with your Studio fellow [long suffering] users.

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:00
Member (2010)
English to French
KB # 4984 ? Jul 25, 2015

Hello,

I had 3 times this blocking error, it ruined 2 of my SDL Studio projects.

Do you have the error message:

"Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"?

if yes, goto SDL Knowledge base at

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4984,

but sometimes the turnaround doesn't work.

Good luck to you

Madeleine

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:00
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
KB # 4984 Jul 25, 2015

Many thanks for the suggestion Madeleine, although it's not the case here. Actually, there's no error message at all. It just freezes.

After three freezes yesterday, where I remove the offending text and re-translate, I'm only 20% through a 40k word doc and dread every segment confirmation, just not knowing when the next freeze will be.

It may be a corrupt TM I guess, so I've disabled a few TMs. I've also tried running SDLTM Repair but I get an error message with that, so can't even run the tool. hahaha.

Hopefully someone will suggest another possible solution. Fingers cross 'till then.

Thanks again!

Richard

Nicolas Baillon (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:00
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 7, 2015

I have exactly the same problem here. The system just freezes. I tried on 2 PCs with the same result. I asked my PM about that problem, and she said it works on her computer and also on her colleague's PC!

So I guess it comes from an interraction with another application. Currently, I use Office 2007. Is the spellchecker or something responsible for that?

[Edited at 2015-10-07 08:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 freezing for 2nd consecutive occasion in middle of big job

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search