Useful Information for working with .xlz-files in Trados 2015
Thread poster: Monique Dressel

Monique Dressel  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
English to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2015

Hello everyone!

I don\'t actually have a question but just went through a minor crisis due to a technical problem.
I found a solution that might be helpful to others:

I was working with an Idiom file (.xlz) in Trados 2015 and upon finishing created a .xlz-file for my client.
Unfortunately this file could not be opened with Idiom even though it worked fine in Trados.
If you experience this problem, here is a workaround:

- Decompress the .xlz-file created by Trados
- You will have three files: .xlf, .xml and .tbx
- Compress only the .xlf-file with zip and change the extension to .xlz
- That .xlz-file can be opened with Idiom

Idiom itself creates .xlz-files which when decompressed only contain a .xlf-file
The additional files in the Trados version throw Idiom off and you won\'t be able to open it.
With the workaround above that problem will be resolved.

Warning: I am not a tech-guru and I do not know exactly what information will be lost by ignoring the other two files. Please proceed with caution.

I hope this will help some of you experiencing the same problem

Monique

[Edited at 2015-08-08 08:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

jonetang
Local time: 05:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
How to work on a .xlz file? Aug 19, 2015

Hi
I found a similar post about this topic, http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/211489-how_to_work_on_a_xlz_file.html , about "how to work on a .xlz file?". May be useful.

Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 13:45
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Thank you! Aug 20, 2015

Indeed it works, thanks tor the tip Monique!

This is something that SDL could have fixed long ago, but they don't seem to bother.

By the way, MemoQ works better with XLZs - you can even set it up to mark Idiom segments as confirmed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Useful Information for working with .xlz-files in Trados 2015

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search