Studio 2015: How to handle a lot of resx files?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:41
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Aug 10, 2015

I have got a lot of resx files from my agency as reference to a translation I am doing.

An example of the contents is as follows. What I would like to create from this, would be one file Excel file from the multiple resx files, so that I had one file to search for for instance "RemoveMaterialDialogTitle", so that I would find the Norwegian translation "Fjern stilling" in one place, rather than having to search through multiple files.

Microsoft ResX Schema

Version 2.0

The primary goals of this format is to allow a simple XML format
that is mostly human readable. The generation and parsing of the
various data types are done through the TypeConverter classes
associated with the data types.

Example:

... ado.net/XML headers & schema ...
text/microsoft-resx

Materiale
title of dialog

Fjern stilling

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:41
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Text file format Aug 10, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I have got a lot of resx files from my agency as reference to a translation I am doing.

The primary goals of this format is to allow a simple XML format
that is mostly human readable. The generation and parsing of the
various data types are done through the TypeConverter classes
associated with the data types.

My Trados Studio 2014 can open most *.resx files. When it fails to recognize, I change *.resx to *.txt extension and use Trados features to translate and export output of multiple files simultaneously. (My job for a big UK retailer supermarket)

Soonthon L.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:41
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing ending to txt seems a little unpractical Aug 11, 2015

We are talking about quite a lot of files in a folder structure, so changing the extension for each seems unpractical.

In addition the files do not have source -> target, but rather English code -> Norwegian message, so it is more complex than that.

For instance:
English code: RemoveMaterialDialogTitle
Norwegian message: Fjern stilling

I must confess I am not totally sure how this is used, but I suspect we are talking about different situations in a big software package (it has to do with SAP), and if the internal code RemoveMaterialDialogTitle appears, then a message in different languages should be shown on screen, which are found in some sort of a database.

It would, therefore, be very practical to have all the resx files combined into one file so that I can search in one file for the messages I should use.

I am not ready to translate the project (I have some other translations I have to finished first), so I have mentioned this to the agency. So it may be the project leader will find a solution.

Roy

jeff2
Local time: 01:41
Probably not doable without client developer's assistance Aug 11, 2015

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the author of a commercial localization program that specifically targets ".resx" files and does what you're requesting, so long as the client developers who sent you the ".resx" files are receptive to purchasing my product (which I stand to profit from). In order not to breach the site's rules however, you'll need to contact me directly at support@hexadigm.com (since directly discussing my product here isn't permitted). In the meantime, I'm not aware of any product (free or commercial), that can roll up all ".resx" files into a single file after the fact. There may be something out there that does it, but I have yet to see it. All programs I've ever seen that do it normally pull the strings directly from the developer's source code, so they would likely have to get involved. If you have any specific questions about the process however, or ".resx" files in general, feel free to follow-up. I may be able to help. Questions specific about my own product however should be taken offline (I won’t be answering them here - thanks.).

[Edited at 2015-08-11 19:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: How to handle a lot of resx files?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search