Trados 2015 Apostrophy problem
Thread poster: karinegay
karinegay
English to French
Aug 12, 2015

Hello,

I am a English into French translator on Trados 2015.

When I write an apostrophy and then the following letter, the cursor goes back one letter to the apostrophy.
If I type l'u (by the time I type the u, the cursor is back before the letter).

And the same problem occurs when I go back to a translation in which there is an apostrophy.
When I click in the translation to modify the text, the cursor directly goes to the place where there is an apostrophy.

I never had this problem before.

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's a bug caused by a new feature Aug 12, 2015

It's a bug caused by the automatic substitution introduced in 2015. Until they fix it you are better off switching the automatic substitution feature off. Studio should then return to the previous behaviour (ie.e, no smart quotes or apostrophes, but also no problem of incorrect placement of the cursor after the apostrophe is typed).

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
So it's not just me... Aug 13, 2015

I agree it is a pain - hope there is a fix for it soon!

Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I never faced this problem Aug 15, 2015

I regularly use SDL Studio 2015 (12.0.4811.0) since its official release and I never had to face this problem.

All “stright quotes” (single or double, i.e. ' and ") are correctly automatically converted to “smart quotes” (i.e. ‘ ’ “ and ”) while typing without any problem at all and the cursor remains where it is supposed to remain... and nowhere else.

Since its release I have managed several projects (small, medium and large) and, to be honest, I did not encounter any problem. So I do not think it might be considered a bug (from my point of view).

I work on a Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) machine, Intel Core i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz, RAM 8.00GB.

Claudio

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
apostrophe Aug 15, 2015

apostrophe

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
Finnish to French
Workaround Aug 15, 2015

If you are interested in getting "curly" apostrophes in any Windows application (including all versions of Studio), you may want to modify your keyboard layout, as explained here (blog post) or here (direct YouTube link).

Audrey Demers  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:57
English to French
Great suggestion Aug 17, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If you are interested in getting "curly" apostrophes in any Windows application (including all versions of Studio), you may want to modify your keyboard layout, as explained here (blog post) or here (direct YouTube link).

I have implemented this workaround for all my team, it is easier than it looks and works great!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015 Apostrophy problem

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search