Import/Export functions in TM management missing, Studio 2014
Thread poster: Ekaterina Kroumova

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Aug 13, 2015

It seems Studio is too smart for me, at least its behaviour is beyond my understanding.

I need to feed a couple of my translation memories with a bunch of tmx files. Now, if I create an new TM, it's straightforward, two nice big buttons appear in the ribbon for exporting from/ importing to the memory (as if you could export something from an empty memory). But if I open a TM that has some data already, these buttons are gone and I no longer can export/import from the TM view (unless it is hidden somewhere in spite of my logic). In this case I have to use a workaround: to attach the memory in question to a project through Project Settings and import from there. Why does it need to be so complicated?

One more thing, why cannot these import/export functions work in the background? Sometimes it takes one or two hours to import to the memory, and I cannot work on my translations during the import operation.

[Modifié le 2015-08-13 12:40 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:12
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Filtered TM? Aug 13, 2015

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:
But if I open a TM that has some data already, these buttons are gone and I no longer can export/import from the TM view (unless it is hidden somewhere in spite of my logic). In this case I have to use a workaround: to attach the memory in question to a project through Project Settings and import from there. Why does it need to be so complicated?

I met this problem when I set the TM filter to show/hide some TU.
Please check your TM properties against any limitation/restriction for Import/Export.

Soonthon L.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
@Ecaterina Aug 13, 2015

Hope my hint is useful:
Just open your TM in the Translation Memory tab.
Then you right click on the name of the TM, and the Import / Export options are there.

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Indeed! Aug 13, 2015

Thank you Lorenzo, they are there, indeed!

I usually work with the sidebar collapsed, so I didn't notice that. Now that I unfolded it and right-clicked, the buttons that were gone, mysteriously reappeared in the ribbon. As I said, that's beyond my intellectual capacities.

Thanks again for solving the riddle!

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No specific filters applied Aug 13, 2015

Hi Soonthon,

I haven't applied any specific filters. I've just created the TM the usual way (Next-Next-Next-Finish) and was trying to fill it with tmx files in two steps, as they are over 2000 single files.

[Modifié le 2015-08-13 12:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import/Export functions in TM management missing, Studio 2014

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search