SDL Trados 2011 - Using Translation Memory
Thread poster: Agrita

Agrita
Latvia
Local time: 02:28
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 15, 2015

Hello! I have just started learning to work witd SDL Trados 2011 and there is one unclear issue for me.

I am translating file, and I have added also Translation Memory.
The question is: how can I see whether there is a particular term included in Translation Memory if I see it in the text to be translated?

For instance, I see that I have to translate phrase "Audio Conference", but I am not sure about "conference" and want to check whether it is included in Translation Memory.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Concordance Aug 15, 2015

Highlight a word (or group of words) and press F3.
This is known as 'concordance'.

Agrita
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 15, 2015

Thank you! I have already found this function but did not know whether it is the right one.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:28
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TM search Aug 15, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Highlight a word (or group of words) and press F3.
This is known as 'concordance'.

If you want to see all instances of such word, use the Translation memory menu to open that TM and conduct search to see all hit words (in particular when Concordance fails to show on the Editor window).

Soonthon L.

valerius  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
Pay attention to concordance search in source/target fields Aug 15, 2015

Just to add to Emma's post, if you highlight a word/phrase in the target field (e.g., after copying source), the lookup will take place in target and it is possible that nothing is found. Where to search can be changed with a small button in one of the top toolbars.

By the way, does anyone know (a) how to force Studio 2011 concordance to only search in the source field or (b) how to navigate quickly between the source and target columns for highlighting without clicking with the mouse?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Concordance search of source segments from the target side. Aug 15, 2015

valerius wrote:

By the way, does anyone know (a) how to force Studio 2011 concordance to only search in the source field or (b) how to navigate quickly between the source and target columns for highlighting without clicking with the mouse?

(a) Search in the source only: From the source side, highlight and press F3, from the target side, highlight and press Ctrl+F3

(b) Press F6 to toggle between source and target segment focus.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 - Using Translation Memory

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search