Lock slides but translate notes Powerpoint
Thread poster: elmnas

elmnas
Sweden
Aug 18, 2015

Hello people,

I have got a power-point file that contains over 600 slides.

my problem is, I will just translate the notes not the slides.

I have tried to create couple different filetypesettings in SDL studio 2014,

also saved the ppt as xml, checked in the xml but the structure is impossible to lock segments into.
(you do declare elements for the ppt in the same way for all types of classes)

I know there is possible to create a vba script for it but the problem it will take a while to create an export and an import script.


also another thing it is the file I need to look exactly the same as the original when it is translated.


Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance


[Edited at 2015-08-19 07:33 GMT]


 

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:32
Member (2005)
French to English
The Studio documentation gives the answer Aug 18, 2015

Hullo,

I'm amending my earlier post. I've looked at the Studio help, and the settings for the Specific file types includes an Exclude notes option for both the 2007-2010 and earlier PPT types. Choosing this excludes notes from translation.

I have a screenshot of the template editing page in Studio. I shall try to send it via your ProZ page.

I hope the foregoing will give timely help.

And may your business prosper despite the trouble times.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)



[Edited at 2015-08-18 20:17 GMT]


 

elmnas
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
re: Aug 19, 2015

IanDhu wrote:

Hullo,

I'm amending my earlier post. I've looked at the Studio help, and the settings for the Specific file types includes an Exclude notes option for both the 2007-2010 and earlier PPT types. Choosing this excludes notes from translation.

I have a screenshot of the template editing page in Studio. I shall try to send it via your ProZ page.

I hope the foregoing will give timely help.

And may your business prosper despite the trouble times.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)



[Edited at 2015-08-18 20:17 GMT]


............

I want to translate the NOTES not the SLIDES.


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:32
French to German
+ ...
No option for this ... Aug 19, 2015

... I am afraid.

I guess this is a rather infrequent scenario. Most of the time, we are requested to translate just the slides without the speaker's notes or both, but just the speaker's notes without the slides, hum, I never came across this.

One workaround would be to lock all the segments that are not notes and translate only the notes. The contents of the slides would be preserved.

Walter


 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:32
English to Russian
Export notes to MS Word Aug 19, 2015

Export notes to Word (using Powerpoint options).
Google for 'How to extract notes from powerpoint' on youtube for example.

Translate this Word file.
If you use a new TM for translation, pretranslate ppt to get 100% translations. Lock them
Copy source to target for unlocked segments in ppt.

* If you use a TM which is not new/empty (when translating Word), then you need to create a new TM and add translated segments to ensure good pretranslation without unnecessary inserts (if any).

[Edited at 2015-08-19 15:40 GMT]


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:32
English
Could be straightforward... Aug 19, 2015

elmnas wrote:

Hello people,

I have got a power-point file that contains over 600 slides.

my problem is, I will just translate the notes not the slides.



... if you use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit. I created a quick video to explain how to do this:

https://youtu.be/30hXZn5lu9g

Hope that's explanatory enough.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


 

elmnas
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Aug 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

elmnas wrote:

Hello people,

I have got a power-point file that contains over 600 slides.

my problem is, I will just translate the notes not the slides.



... if you use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit. I created a quick video to explain how to do this:

https://youtu.be/30hXZn5lu9g

Hope that's explanatory enough.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


Thank you very much!
this was very helpful,


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lock slides but translate notes Powerpoint

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search