Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

Hello everyone

In Trados 2011, is there a way to make comment tool-tips stay open for longer? At the moment, the tool-tip times out after about 5 seconds, which is not long enough to read most comments.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I also would like comment time-out increased Aug 19, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
In Trados 2011, is there a way to make comment tool-tips stay open for longer?

Agreed. And also allow us to increase the font size for comments. If you're on a modern screen the text is ridiculously small. Some of us make extensive use of the commenting function and it is a pain in the eyes.

Dan

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Not to my knowledge .... Aug 19, 2015

.. as it is a system function, but if you want to read the text of the comments, why don't you do this in the "Comments" window. This is much more comfortable.. The tooltip anyway does not show the entire text.

Walter

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Walter Aug 19, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:
Not to my knowledge, as it is a system function, but...

I've done some testing, and it appears that the tooltip in Trados 2011 is not a system function. I tested this by altering the MouseHoverTime in the registry to something very long and something very short (which does not, despite it's name, affect the time-out, but rather the activation time), and it didn't affect how quickly or slowly the tooltip appears in Trados. The tooltip takes about half a second to appear in Trados regardless of the registry setting.

Also, the tooltip only reappears if you move the mouse off the comment and back onto it again. Simply moving the mouse slightly to the left or right doesn't bring the tooltip back.

As a temporary solution, then, I wrote a little script that moves the mouse back and forth every 5 seconds, so that I can read the comments (even if the comment disappears for half a second every 5 seconds):

http://wikisend.com/download/491774/mouseshaker.zip

If you want to read the text of the comments, why don't you do this in the "Comments" window. This is much more comfortable.

For me, it's less comfortable, because then my eyes have to move back and forth between two places on the screen that are not close to each other.

[Edited at 2015-08-19 13:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011: increase comment tool-tip time-out

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search