Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:28
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

I have just upgraded to Windows 10, and as a result some of the station letters regretably have to reordered. This has led to Studio 2015 forgetting the projects I have been working with when it closes.

I thought that perhaps this was a temporary problem, and that the project window would be filled as I am working on new projects. But now I see that a project I worked on earlier today, is gone after I closed and opened Studio again.

I can still browse to the project file on the harddisk (which now has station letter G: rather than whatever it had before - it is an external disk), but it would be useful just to make the project active if I need to do more on it.

Is there something I can do to fix it, without having to uninstall and reinstall the whole of Studio? (I tried that earlier today, and the problem persists, but I did not clean the registry after uninstallment.)

Roy

Direct link Reply with quote

ChananZass
Italy
Member (2014)
Italian to English
+ ...
Try editing manually the projects.xml file Aug 19, 2015

Project locations are set in the projects.xml file (on my computer it is found under \Documents\Studio 2014\Projects).

You might try opening the file with Notepad and editing file locations.
File locations should be found in the middle part of the file (search for "ProjectFilePath").

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing station letter seems to have fixed it. Aug 19, 2015

I tried to edit the xml file, but the problem persisted, so I tried to change the station letter (after removing the letter from some stations on the pc that I don't use) and at least first impression is that it worked, at least for new projects.

ChananZass
Italy
Member (2014)
Italian to English
+ ...
Glad this is fixed Aug 20, 2015

Forgot to mention that you must restart SDL Trados Studio after editing the projects.xml file.
Otherwise your changes would not take effect.

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guessed as much ... Aug 20, 2015

... but the problem was that the restart didn't work. I suspect there is some other setting telling Studio where to find the projects.xml files, as I found 2 on G:, which I did edit, but Studio seemed to look for them on E: After changing the partition letter to E: thinks seem to work as intended again.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Roy

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
Japanese to English
Same issue Aug 22, 2015

Also having this problem since the Win 10 update.

I've tried all the tricks, but my Project List remains empty! Actually, it keeps two finished projects and the rest disappear.

projects.xml appears to be stuck at a certain point in time.

I wish there was a Refresh option for the Project List like there is for Windows Desktop etc. I am definitely out of my depth when I have dig into hidden folders and attempt to edit xml files and such.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Delete project .xml Aug 22, 2015

I'd try deleting the project settings file.

- Close Studio
- Delete the projects.xml file from here:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2015\Projects

Restart Studio and browse to the same place to re-open your projects.

Hope it works!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited as per request
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 v. Windows 10: Project window is empty

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search