Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to split merged files into bilingual files in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Cristian Herrlein

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Local time: 15:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

Hello!

I have merged around 15 sdlxliff files from a package into one single file. After translating, I need to deliver 15 separate sdlxliff files again. So far, I've found no way of doing this.

I'm currently pretranslating them with an updated TM, but the entire project contains a total of 1200 files so I'm not seeing this as a viable solution. If anyone knows how to split the merged file into isolated bilingual sdlxliff files, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:25
English
Did you try saving... Aug 19, 2015

... the target files? I just ran a quick test and saving target created separate target files and separate sdlxliff files from the single merged sdlxliff.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correct! Aug 19, 2015

Hi Paul! Thanks for your reply. I did that (through batch tasks -> Export files) and I got a bunch of unclean files, but they do not match the ones in the merged file. This is an MT post-editing project, maybe this has something to do with that?

United Kingdom
English
Don't do it through Batch Tasks... Aug 19, 2015

.... just open the file and then use Save Target As. It's only 15 files, and you'll be prompted 15 times to save each target file. To do that the individual sdlxliff files are created.

Only problem I can foresee is that the sdlxliffs were created with custom filetypes and you don't have them. Otherwise this should do the trick.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working :( Aug 20, 2015

Nope, still not working. I clean up the files with "save target as..." and all I get is the clean files. The unclean files are there as well, but when I open them, they do not match with the content of the merged file. Any other workaround?

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another thing! Aug 20, 2015

I copied the merged file to another directory, did "save target as..." and I'm only getting clean files, no sdlxliff files are outputicon_frown.gif.

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some further details Aug 21, 2015

Just in case it matters, I thought I'd better leave all the information. I received a package created by the client. Once I opened that package, I copied the sdlxliff files in another folder and created new packages, the ones that I used to merge the files.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clarification Aug 21, 2015

Cristian Herrlein wrote:
I received a package created by the client. Once I opened that package, I copied the sdlxliff files in another folder and created new packages, the ones that I used to merge the files.

What do you mean by "created new packages"? Do you mean you have a version of Trados that allows you to create packages (e.g. new sdlppx files)? Or do you actually mean "created new projects" instead of "created new packages"?

Oh, and when you say that you received a "package" from the client, I assume you mean that you received a single file from the client, e.g. an sdlppx file, is that right?

[Edited at 2015-08-21 08:36 GMT]

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:25
English to Russian
SDL XLIFF Split/Merge Aug 21, 2015

Have you tried 'SDL XLIFF Split/Merge' plug-in?
Here: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliffsplitmerge-827.html?action=Download

[Edited at 2015-08-21 09:36 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Aug 21, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:
Have you tried 'SDL XLIFF Split/Merge' plug-in?

AFAIK the "SDL XLIFF Split/Merge" can't split files that were previously merged, but rather merges files that were previously split.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:25
English to Russian
Do not know for sure... Aug 21, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
AFAIK the "SDL XLIFF Split/Merge" can't split files that were previously merged, but rather merges files that were previously split.

Maybe you are right. I never used it. However its description reads: SDL XLIFF Split/Merge Application allows users to perform split of large SDL XLIFF files and merge split files into a single SDL XLIFF file.

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's right. Aug 21, 2015

Hi Samuel!

Correct, I have a licensed version of Studio 2015 Professional. I received an sdlppx file from the client. I opened it and then I created new projects where I merged the sdlxliff files.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I recall... Aug 21, 2015

Cristian Herrlein wrote:
Correct, I have a licensed version of Studio 2015 Professional. I received an sdlppx file from the client. I opened it and then I created new projects where I merged the sdlxliff files.

I seem to recall that I had a similar problem with an older version of Trados 2009+, namely that one couldn't unmerge merged SDLXLIFF files. One was able to create an unmergeable merged file if the source files were not SDLXLIFF files, but if the source files were SDLXLIFF files, then one could only merge them... and not unmerge them afterwards.

It would appear that that bug still exists in 2015... although 2015 now has something called "views" in which you can views all text from all files in a single project as a single view (not sure if you can view all text from all files across multiple projects in a single view, though).

Samuel

==

Here's my previous post about it:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/251399-how_to_unmerge_a_merged_sdlxliff_file.html

In that thread, mention is made of a solution by Antonio Plais, which you can find here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/219545-unmerging_splitting_merged_sdlxliff_files_in_studio_2011.html
...in which thread Paul said that he hopes it will be solved in Trados 2014, but subsequent posters said that it wasn't.

[Edited at 2015-08-21 15:39 GMT]

Cristian Herrlein
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel! Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for the information, Samuel. It's not nice to know that there's no workaround for this issue other than pretranslating the source files with an updated TM, but at least now I know that I have no choice.

I must say I'm really disappointed (and furious) that SDL has not yet solved this issue, even in Studio 2015 :/. I really hope Paul can shed some light in this issue.

United Kingdom
English
I'm curious... Aug 21, 2015

Cristian Herrlein wrote:

Thanks for the information, Samuel. It's not nice to know that there's no workaround for this issue other than pretranslating the source files with an updated TM, but at least now I know that I have no choice.

I must say I'm really disappointed (and furious) that SDL has not yet solved this issue, even in Studio 2015 :/. I really hope Paul can shed some light in this issue.

... why you even need to do this? In Studio 2014 and 2015 you can merge files contained in a package within the project, so why would you create a new project with the sdlxliff files in the first place? What is the usecase for this that you think we should support?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to split merged files into bilingual files in Studio 2014?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search