Instruction Manual for Trados Studio 2015?
Thread poster: JW Narins
JW Narins
JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2015

Hello! I've been translating for many years, but I just recently decided to invest in CAT.

I've acquired Trados Studio 2015. I'm using it and - yes, I can figure out enough to make it useful. I can see how useful it can be!

But ...there are options on every pop-up and page that aren't clear to me. Which makes sense in a program so immense.

But anything you buy comes with an instruction manual. That has to be even more true when I've juyst paid hundreds a
... See more
Hello! I've been translating for many years, but I just recently decided to invest in CAT.

I've acquired Trados Studio 2015. I'm using it and - yes, I can figure out enough to make it useful. I can see how useful it can be!

But ...there are options on every pop-up and page that aren't clear to me. Which makes sense in a program so immense.

But anything you buy comes with an instruction manual. That has to be even more true when I've juyst paid hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the program.

I know I *could* pay hundreds more to be taught the program, but there must be a manual that explains what each option means, right?

Where do I find that?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:21
English to German
Same here Aug 27, 2015

I recently invested in Trados 2015 and have watched some videos to get started on the basics, but like you there seems to be so much more I cannot use because I don't know what it is for or what it is.

Some kind of intermediate resource that I could tap into and read about specific topics would be very useful.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
English
Help Ribbon Aug 27, 2015

Hi,

I think the first place to start is the Help Ribbon:

Help Topics : Online Help, also pressing F1 on the feature you are looking at should take you to a place where you can get more help.

Tutorials : Takes you to the SDL Tra
... See more
Hi,

I think the first place to start is the Help Ribbon:

Help Topics : Online Help, also pressing F1 on the feature you are looking at should take you to a place where you can get more help.

Tutorials : Takes you to the SDL Trados youtube pages where you can find a lot of related assistance

SDL Knowledgebase : Takes you to the KB where you can search for anything you're interested in.

SDL Trados Exents : Useful for information of events you cann attend where we regularly offer training and options to ask any questions you like

Studio Blog : Links to a list of articles written specifically on Studio/Multiterm

SDL Community : Takes you to a technical forum where you can ask a question on anything you like and discuss things not only with your peers but also with SDL (product experts, developers, product managers etc.)

We don't provide a manual these days because we prefer to offer a richer environment using various media and this can be updated whenever we like. If you find we are missing information in the help for example you can feedback in the pages and we can update it.

But if you really want a hardcopy manual there are various ones available such as these:

Italian User Guide
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/manualipersdltradosstudio(diverseversioni)-839.html#87013

SDL Trados Studio User Manual
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudiomanual-484.html#47079

SDL Trados Studio 2014 Manual in Japanese
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudio2014manualinjapanese-713.html#73764

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 (in Polish)
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudio2011sp2manual(inpolish)-318.html#32024

There others on Amazon I believe, but these are all on the SDL OpenExchange. I have a preference to the SDL Trados Studio User Manual because of the detail and it's updated for every version within a month or two.

Finally, there's an article here which contains a lot of resources as well : http://multifarious.filkin.com/sdl-sustenance/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-08-27 17:26 GMT]

Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
JW Narins
JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 27, 2015

Thank you! I'll look at those in detail and reply here.

André Sainderichin
André Sainderichin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2014)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I get your point... Aug 27, 2015

I know, I know, don't I know it...
All sorts of resources, scattered, bits and pieces, Youtube bits that are, well, ah, hmm.. how shall I say, well not always really helpful.
I started out with Studio 2014 about six months ago, and finally got myself the "SDL Trados Studio- a Practical Guide" book. It's based on Studio 2014, and it just scratches the surface, but at least it's a reasonably coherent and systematic approach to SDL Trados. It's by no means comprehensive, but it gets you
... See more
I know, I know, don't I know it...
All sorts of resources, scattered, bits and pieces, Youtube bits that are, well, ah, hmm.. how shall I say, well not always really helpful.
I started out with Studio 2014 about six months ago, and finally got myself the "SDL Trados Studio- a Practical Guide" book. It's based on Studio 2014, and it just scratches the surface, but at least it's a reasonably coherent and systematic approach to SDL Trados. It's by no means comprehensive, but it gets you started, and tells you stuff you'd never find on your own.

Me, I'm old school: I want reference manuals, and serious and systematically organized how-to books. Not some scattered stuff on the 'net, or on-line help tools.

But that's me, I guess. Serious manuals are expensive to produce, and after all, SDL Trados Studio is a niche product.

I like SDL Trados, and I like what it can do for me.

I don't like the way I have to find out myself all the time. But I suspect that's the way it is. Period.

Cheers,
André
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Spain
English to Spanish
Not happy. Apr 7, 2016

We don't provide a manual these days because we prefer to offer a richer environment using various media and this can be updated whenever we like. If you find we are missing information in the help for example you can feedback in the pages and we can update it.

But if you really want a hardcopy manual there are various ones available such as these:

SDL Trados Studio User Manual
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudiomanual-484.html#47079
There others on Amazon I believe, but these are all on the SDL OpenExchange. I have a preference to the SDL Trados Studio User Manual because of the detail and it's updated for every version within a month or two.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Paul, I have tried the link above quoted and it redirects me to a page where I can BUY the manual.
http://tradosstudiomanual.com/

Why should I buy a manual for a product that already cost me quite some money??
You say you "don't provide a manual these days because..." but I suspect that is simply not true.
I suspect it's all about cutting costs.

But as JW Narins said, everything you buy in the world comes with a manual... except Trados apparently.

Not happy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instruction Manual for Trados Studio 2015?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »