About to install new OS on laptop. Can I give it exactly the same name as my PC?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:32
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Aug 27, 2015

I had posted this question in an old post here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/143641-studio_2009_best_way_to_sync_projects_on_two_pcs.html, but considering its 6 years old, here goes again:

I have Windows 7 on my PC and laptop, and I'm using Dropbox to sync my Studio 2014 files, but even though I have exactly the same file paths, Studio doesn't find the TMs and TBs when I switch computers. Perhaps this is because the projects.xml file contains data regarding which computer the projects were created on. So towards the bottom of this file is "UserId=[my computer name]", which is obviously different for my PC and laptop at the moment, hence the idea of giving my laptop exactly the same name as my PC when I reinstall my OS. But I wonder if this will cause any syncing conflicts with Dropbox or other problems, and whether Dropbox will recognize that I want to sync two separate PCs if they share the same name.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Rich

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:32
French to German
+ ...
The username has no influence on DropBox Aug 27, 2015

Richard

The only thing you need to make sure is that you use the same path on both computers and that the Dropbox folder at this path is synced with the cloud.
Studio does not access the files in the cloud but in your local Dropbox folder.

However, let me say at the same time that this scenario is not officially supported by SDL. It may work most of the time, but it may also fail in certain cases. One example is, if you add or remove files in your project on computer A. This change will be reflected in the projects.xml of computer A and in the project folder. When you open the same project later in computer B, Studio will read the information in the local projects.xml of computer B, but this file does not reflect the changes you made on computer A related to your project because Studio does not reread the project file in the updated project folder and check whether it has changed and there will be a mismatch between the contents of the project folder (which has been updated) and the information in the local projects.xml (which has not been updated).
You could work around this by always removing the current project and reopening the project from the latest project file in your project folder. This would then update the local projects.xml file.

If you want to share Studio projects between several PCs, the only proper way (recommended by SDL) to do this is to use project packages or a GroupShare server.

Walter

Addendum: I just realize that you mention that you can't find the TMs and TBs. This means that you have to make sure that these resources also reside in the same path (in this case, your Dropbox folder). If they are located somewhere else, Studio on the second PC may not find this path.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-08-27 21:01 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2015-08-27 21:04 GMT]

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:32
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, I think! Aug 28, 2015

Hi Walter,

Many thanks for your advice.

I edited the projects.xml file which, on computer B, for some reason had the wrong file path set with my old computer name, following Paul's advice: "All you need to do is edit the path in this xml and that should take care of it" in an old post here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233185-studio_11_how_to_change_location_for_projectsxml.html#2412953 because I was having the same problem mentioned there, where Studio in computer B wasn't creating its own projects.xml file. As he mentions later in the same post, the path for 2014 is c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\

So now I have the Projects folder with all my projects and the projects.xml file on Dropbox, and it seems to work well so far, in that I can add and remove termbases and TMs and in couple of minutes, after Dropbox updates the files, when I open the same project up on computer B, the TMs and TBs are as I have just set them up on computer A, and the same works vice versa.

To achieve this I had to set up a "reverse" symbolic link, linking my Dropbox "Projects" location to the default Studio location for the Projects folder. I had read somewhere that the regular symbolic link has the limitation that it only gets updated after system restart, but by linking it in reverse it does get updated on the fly.

I've tested it on different projects and it seems fine so far, although I'm not even that sure of how much of an advantage it actually is to have the projects.xml file updated on the cloud, but I was at least curious to see if it was possible.

Thanks again!

Rich

Correction: The file I edited to correct the fact that the projects.xml wasn't being created in the studio folder, was the Sdl.ProjectApi file, so once that was fixed, after creating the "reverse" symbolic link, the projects.xml file is now updated in Dropbox on the fly.

[Edited at 2015-08-28 13:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-28 13:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About to install new OS on laptop. Can I give it exactly the same name as my PC?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search