https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/290294-studio_2015_exporting_only_segments_with_comments_to_external_view.html

Studio 2015: Exporting only segments with comments to External View
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:54
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Aug 30, 2015

I have been asked to enter questions and comments I have to a translation, in an Excel file I have recieved. Rather than copy each segment into the Excel file, I find it easier to create comments while translating in Studo.

Now, I could create an External view and then sort on the segments with comments after export. But is there some way to just export the segments with comments in the first place? This option is already in Dejavu, and I find it very useful, but I have so far not b
... See more
I have been asked to enter questions and comments I have to a translation, in an Excel file I have recieved. Rather than copy each segment into the Excel file, I find it easier to create comments while translating in Studo.

Now, I could create an External view and then sort on the segments with comments after export. But is there some way to just export the segments with comments in the first place? This option is already in Dejavu, and I find it very useful, but I have so far not been able to find it in Studio.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:54
English to Thai
+ ...
The reference webpage Aug 30, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Now, I could create an External view and then sort on the segments with comments after export. But is there some way to just export the segments with comments in the first place? This option is already in Dejavu, and I find it very useful, but I have so far not been able to find it in Studio.

The link below can be referential for your question.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/28/did-you-know-you-can-export-studio-comments-in-your-target-word-file/

Soonthon L.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but it didn't quite fit the bill Aug 30, 2015

I know I can export the whole translation as an External View file, which seems to be what the link also says. What I would like, though, is to export just the segments with comments, including the comments, while skipping all the segments that do not have any comments.

I have not been able to find this option anywhere so far, though.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try using the SDLXLIFF Toolkit Aug 30, 2015

Hi Roy,

You may be able to use the Toolkit to create a new sdlxliff comprising only segments with comments. You can then use this for the export for external review as every segment in the file will be what you wanted.

In fact if you use the old OpenExchange tool for this you can export the file directly into Excel and this may be better for you as you could copy paste the cells into the file you were asked to return? This article may be useful if you don't now about
... See more
Hi Roy,

You may be able to use the Toolkit to create a new sdlxliff comprising only segments with comments. You can then use this for the export for external review as every segment in the file will be what you wanted.

In fact if you use the old OpenExchange tool for this you can export the file directly into Excel and this may be better for you as you could copy paste the cells into the file you were asked to return? This article may be useful if you don't now about this tool:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/18/the-sdlxliff-converter/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-08-30 19:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: Exporting only segments with comments to External View

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »