https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/29092-can_wb_show_more_than_1_term_from_multiterm.html

Can WB show more than 1 term from Multiterm?
Thread poster: Hirundo
Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 18:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2005

The WB term recognition window by default shows only one term at a time. This is extremely frustrating.

Can it show all terms for the current TU?

I use Trados 6.0.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:21
English to German
+ ...
Switching between multiple terms recognised Feb 4, 2005

Hi Asei,
Can you please let us know which versions you're using (go to Help - About... in Workbench and MultiTerm to check the full version number, including the build number).

Not sure if I correctly understand your query - you would like to see a list of all terms for the current TU displayed in the window at the same time, right?

This would create problems if you're working with a larger termbase containing multiple entries for the same ... See more
Hi Asei,
Can you please let us know which versions you're using (go to Help - About... in Workbench and MultiTerm to check the full version number, including the build number).

Not sure if I correctly understand your query - you would like to see a list of all terms for the current TU displayed in the window at the same time, right?

This would create problems if you're working with a larger termbase containing multiple entries for the same concept - for instance, if you have three different target definitions for a specific term, but they're separate entries with different project attributes (allowing you to filter them if needed).

Are you aware of the keyboard shortcuts which let you skip to the previous (Alt+LeftArrow)/next (Alt+RightArrow) term? Using these, you can go through the terms recognised without leaving the keyboard.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Hirundo
Hirundo
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can WB show more than 1 term ...? - Additional information Feb 4, 2005

Hi Ralf -

My version is 6.0.0.309 (build 310).

Frequently, more than one word in your sentence is in Multiterm.

Workbench by default shows only the first term in your sentence. To see the other, you can point at them with your mouse or "scroll" through your terms using the keyboard shortcuts you mentioned.

However, I wonder if WB term recognition window cannot simply display all terms in your sentence (with their translation) at a glance.
... See more
Hi Ralf -

My version is 6.0.0.309 (build 310).

Frequently, more than one word in your sentence is in Multiterm.

Workbench by default shows only the first term in your sentence. To see the other, you can point at them with your mouse or "scroll" through your terms using the keyboard shortcuts you mentioned.

However, I wonder if WB term recognition window cannot simply display all terms in your sentence (with their translation) at a glance.

Especially when you are not translating but reviewing a translation with TU's with many terms (checking term by term), this would facilitate things a lot.

Hope there is a way.
Asei

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Asei,

This would create problems if you're working with a larger termbase containing multiple entries for the same concept - for instance, if you have three different target definitions for a specific term, but they're separate entries with different project attributes (allowing you to filter them if needed).

Are you aware of the keyboard shortcuts which let you skip to the previous (Alt+LeftArrow)/next (Alt+RightArrow) term? Using these, you can go through the terms recognised without leaving the keyboard.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, MTiX does show multiple entries Feb 4, 2005

And does show more entries.
So either you have a term with three or four possible translations as one entry in MT - so you get it shown, or you have two or more entries to the same term - even these get shown.

At least this is so, if working with WB 6.5.5.438 (build 439) and MTiX 6.2.0.287 (build 287)

Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Jerzy... Feb 4, 2005

At least this is so, if working with WB 6.5.5.438 (build 439) and MTiX 6.2.0.287 (build 287)

...that's why I had asked about the MultiTerm version...

Best, Ralf

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:21
English to German
+ ...
.. and Déjà Vu X does it, too Feb 4, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Well, MTiX does show multiple entries.
And does show more entries.
So either you have a term with three or four possible translations as one entry in MT - so you get it shown, or you have two or more entries to the same term - even these get shown..

Hirundo
Hirundo
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How does it work in WB 6.0? Feb 4, 2005

Thank you for your reply, Jerzy.

It helps, but I still have two questions.

(1) What can you say about WB 6.0.0.309 (build 310), which is my version? I am not familiar with MTiX, and relatively new to Trados. Version 6.0 seems to use MT from Trados 5.5.

(2) I am not sure if I understand you right. My question is how to display in WB all terms in one TU at the same time.

For instance the sentence "I like football, baseball and tennis." If I find
... See more
Thank you for your reply, Jerzy.

It helps, but I still have two questions.

(1) What can you say about WB 6.0.0.309 (build 310), which is my version? I am not familiar with MTiX, and relatively new to Trados. Version 6.0 seems to use MT from Trados 5.5.

(2) I am not sure if I understand you right. My question is how to display in WB all terms in one TU at the same time.

For instance the sentence "I like football, baseball and tennis." If I find that all three sports are in MT (marked red in WB), I would also like to see them all three together in the term recognition window. By default, you see only one at a time.

I understand your reply is about different translations for any one of those terms. I want just those three together.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks,
Asei

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

MTiX does show multiple entries
So either you have a term with three or four possible translations as one entry in MT - so you get it shown, or you have two or more entries to the same term - even these get shown.

Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You cannot show more matches at one time in Workbench Feb 4, 2005

This seems what you are looking for - WB does show only one match at the time.
Only the terminology window, which is related to Multiterm, shows more entries at once.
This is per design so and cannot be changed.
You have to go to WB and switch with the mouse between the entries.

Regards
Jerzy

Hirundo
Hirundo
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Experiencing the limits of WB ... Feb 4, 2005

Thank you Jerzy, I understand it.

This definitely is an advantage of Deja Vu X, seeing all your matches at a glance ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can WB show more than 1 term from Multiterm?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »