Thread poster: Rosane Andrade
Rosane Andrade
Rosane Andrade  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
Sep 7, 2015

I would like to know if the use of MyMemory can constitute a breach of the confidentiality agreement.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:46
English to Thai
+ ...
Clear discussions: Not breach!! Sep 7, 2015

Rosane Andrade wrote:

I would like to know if the use of MyMemory can constitute a breach of the confidentiality agreement.

I am quite interested in this issue since one agency claimed that I use MT while I did not. And I did not violate the confidentiality in translators' code of practice [No confidentiality agreement in my case.] The agency denied to pay me in a big amount over USD 12,000. I still continue to settle this matter.

Regarding your question, we have extensive discussions in the link below. It is quite helpful.

http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/207130-mt_and_confidentiality_agreements.html

Soonthon L.

[Edited at 2015-09-07 14:08 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 19:46
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Cloud security and client confidentiality Sep 7, 2015

Some of the NDAs I've been asked to sign have included a specific prohibition against using any form of 'cloud' storage. Even those that haven't do bind me to taking "all reasonable precautions" to protect the confidentiality of customer data.

Now despite the many assurances to the contrary, and especially in the light of the very many well-publicized leaks that have already occurred, I personally would not be happy about storing any of my data on any form of 'cloud' storage — nor
... See more
Some of the NDAs I've been asked to sign have included a specific prohibition against using any form of 'cloud' storage. Even those that haven't do bind me to taking "all reasonable precautions" to protect the confidentiality of customer data.

Now despite the many assurances to the contrary, and especially in the light of the very many well-publicized leaks that have already occurred, I personally would not be happy about storing any of my data on any form of 'cloud' storage — nor would I consider such operations to fall within the scope of "taking all reasonable precautions to protect customer data".

One has to ask oensself the question "why would any publisher of translation software go to the trouble and expense of providing cloud storage for TMs etc. out of the goodness of their heart, for purely altruistic reasons?" Even if their assurances of confidentiality can be trusted, and even if the data will never knowingly be released to a third party — surely they must intend exploiting that data in some way, either for term extraction or for fine-tuning their algorithms, for example. Either way, I intend to steer well clear!

You only have to see the way Google spies on your gmail to be very, very afraid... and I have to say, I even wonder if passing customers' documents via Gmail itself doesn't constitute a breach of confidentiality?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MyMemory SDL Trados Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »