Studio 2014: saving frequently used Find and Replace actions
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Sep 9, 2015

1) Typically on my jobs I run a few find-and-replace actions before I start. Is there a way of saving these and running them on new projects as a batch?

2) If the answer to the above is "no", could I perhaps use an external tool (e.g. PowerGREP) to process the sdlxliff file after the project is first saved?

Paul, I know you use RegexBuddy, which is from the same developer as PowerGREP. Have you ever tried this kind of thing?

Regards
Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Read my mind Dan Sep 9, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

1) Typically on my jobs I run a few find-and-replace actions before I start. Is there a way of saving these and running them on new projects as a batch?

2) If the answer to the above is "no", could I perhaps use an external tool (e.g. PowerGREP) to process the sdlxliff file after the project is first saved?

Paul, I know you use RegexBuddy, which is from the same developer as PowerGREP. Have you ever tried this kind of thing?

Regards
Dan

"And now for a feature request: my text editor (EmEditor) has this cool little feature where you have a drop-down menu in the F&R dialogue, in which you can store snippets for later use. It has stuff like TAB and newline characters, etc. If we had such a thing in CT, we could store all of our little regex text snippets in the CafeTran F&R dialogue for quick and easy use on-the-fly."

src: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000010456

PS: in CafeTran you can use regexes in the F&R dialogue. I suppose the same is possible in Studio

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Regexes possible but a little clunky Sep 9, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
PS: in CafeTran you can use regexes in the F&R dialogue. I suppose the same is possible in Studio

Yes Michael it is possible in Studio, but I find it a little... clunky? I don't know why, sometimes it just seems awkward. I don't like the "use..." dropdown combined with a checkbox for wildcard or regex.

Also I had a problem the other day using a regex from Regex Buddy in Studio, even though they're both set to the Net variant. I forget the exact situation though.

I would actually like to externalise this kind of search and replace so that I don't have to rely on Studio's functionality. Let's see what Mr. Filkin says about use of grep on a Studio XML file.

Regards
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: saving frequently used Find and Replace actions

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search